Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2024 4:56:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Halberdier]
I picked up a Hamilton Jazzmaster with a power reserve dial a couple of weeks ago. I like that it's a dress watch, but not too delicate looking. It's running eight seconds fast every day, sitting on my desk and getting hand wound when it runs very low. The movement is the 3Hz, 80 hour power reserve Caliber H-13, which is the ETA caliber C07.671, which is based on the ETA 2824-2.

My question is, should I keep the watch with this much variation. I have two Midos with basically the same movement. These run 1-2 seconds off per day.

Photo for reference. I really like the look.

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 5:01:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dfariswheel] [#1]
An option is to have a watchmaker adjust it for you.
It's a simple task to do, all that's usually needed is to remove the back and turn the regulator down a bit then close back up.

If you have concerns about a warranty, send it in and let Hamilton do it or ask if there's an authorized service near you.
The watch isn't likely defective, it just needs to be regulated for you.
Mechanical watches are affected by how you wear it and that is something that varies from person to person.
An active person's watch will run differently then a person who is more sedentary.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 5:37:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jack19] [#2]
What dfariswheel said.

Understand too that you have entered into a relative relationship with time itself.  Even a well regulated watch will run slightly fast or slow. The importance is understanding that a few seconds a day, one way or the other, is still extremely accurate.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:05:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a new watch with a Sellita SW200-1 movement that is currently gaining 5 seconds per day. Meh. Despite my OCD, i can live with it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:51:55 PM EDT
[#4]
My Orient automatic runs about 8-10 seconds a day fast. From what I understand, that's not unusual for automatics. I just reset it once a week, usually on Monday mornings. I don't find it to be a big deal.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:07:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Halberdier:
I picked up a Hamilton Jazzmaster with a power reserve dial a couple of weeks ago. I like that it's a dress watch, but not too delicate looking. It's running eight seconds fast every day, sitting on my desk and getting hand wound when it runs very low. The movement is the 3Hz, 80 hour power reserve Caliber H-13, which is the ETA caliber C07.671, which is based on the ETA 2824-2.

My question is, should I keep the watch with this much variation. I have two Midos with basically the same movement. These run 1-2 seconds off per day.

Photo for reference. I really like the look.

https://canary.contestimg.wish.com/api/webimage/64122395ecf976cd7bff1408-large.jpg
View Quote

Question -- are you actually wearing the watch, or just leaving it on your desk in one position all the time and hand winding it when necessary?

If it's the latter, you may find the movement to be more accurate once you actually start wearing it and the watch is changing positions constantly.

Regardless, I personally would keep the watch and enjoy it. If it continues to run fast and it really bothers you, consider having a local watch maker regulate it for you, it's a very simple task. You could even learn to do it yourself, if you wanted to.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:54:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By pctech:

Question -- are you actually wearing the watch, or just leaving it on your desk in one position all the time and hand winding it when necessary?

If it's the latter, you may find the movement to be more accurate once you actually start wearing it and the watch is changing positions constantly.

Regardless, I personally would keep the watch and enjoy it. If it continues to run fast and it really bothers you, consider having a local watch maker regulate it for you, it's a very simple task. You could even learn to do it yourself, if you wanted to.
View Quote

This. You need to wear it.  The rate will vary based on the orientation of the watch. Most manufacturers seem to shoot for some average between several positions (assuming it's not certified by some outside institution, who essentially do just that). I wouldn't consider anything out of spec if the watch performed like this while simply resting on a desk.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 1:43:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Newnimprovedusername] [#7]
^^What the last couple posters said. Also, what position do you have it resting in as that makes a difference as well.

ETA: 8 seconds fast wouldn’t really bother me that much even at that price point.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:34:09 AM EDT
[#8]
All of the above. +8 is probably within factory spec for that watch. COSC certification is -4 to +6 (over multiple positions) and if yours is +8 just sitting it would probably be within COSC spec if worn and moved about.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:48:36 AM EDT
[#9]
The expected accuracy of the ETA caliber 2824-2 depends on the grade.

Standard – +/-12 seconds per day up to +/- 30 sec/day
Elaborated – +/-7 seconds per day up to +/- 20 sec/day
Top – +/-4 seconds per day up to +/- 15 sec/day
Chronometer – COSC spec
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:21:44 AM EDT
[#10]
That sounds perfectly fine. Try wearing it, or store it overnight in whatever orientation slows it down.

Maybe also change a bit as the movement breaks in.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 5:22:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By dfariswheel:
It's a simple task to do, all that's usually needed is to remove the back and turn the regulator down a bit then close back up.

If you have concerns about a warranty, send it in and let Hamilton do it or ask if there's an authorized service near you.
Mechanical watches are affected by how you wear it and that is something that varies from person to person.
An active person's watch will run differently then a person who is more sedentary.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dfariswheel:

Originally Posted By Halberdier:
It's running eight seconds fast every day, sitting on my desk and getting hand wound when it runs very low.

Not about how he is wearing it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:25:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Halberdier] [#12]
Just to clarify, the watch is sitting here with all the films and tags still on. If I take those off and adjust the bracelet, I can't return it.

I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised by the replies here. Hobby type forums are usually filled with purists who accept no compromises. The general sentiment here is not like that at all. Of the suggestions made, I like the idea of calibrating the movement myself the most. I think I have all the necessary gear to do this and it'll just take my watch hobby another notch up. I'll see what videos I can find, but also any tips would be appreciated.

ETA: Sending it to Hamilton for service is not likely to work, because eight seconds is probably within spec.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:36:40 AM EDT
[#13]
You'll need a timegrapher so you can check the adjustment in seconds vs. having to wait a day between each little tweak. You can also check the timekeeping in all the different positions so you don't get it spot on when it's dial up, but way off in other positions.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 4:51:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Watches usually slow as they age so +9s/d isn't bad at all. Particularly if its not being worn.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#15]
That’s totally normal and wishing rarings for that movement.

−4 and +6 seconds/day  is COSC Chronometer grade.

I believe an Omega Chronometer rating is -0/+7.

And Grand Seiko automatic standards -1/+8.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:51:23 AM EDT
[#16]
I reset the time and laid the watch on its side. It ran 4 seconds fast in 24 hours. I'm doing upright next and will try wearing it after that.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 7:42:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Well I've got a marathon that puts on about a minute an hour, so .... I'd live with that.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 12:20:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By NotIssued:
Well I've got a marathon that puts on about a minute an hour, so .... I'd live with that.
View Quote

Whoa. Now that needs service.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 1:24:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By WilsonCQB1911:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WilsonCQB1911:

Buy a demagnetizer from Amazon for ten bucks. With that much time being added it's almost certainly a magnetized hair spring.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 2:09:29 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

I've got one with a overlap in the hairspring making the hairspring much stiffer than intended.
Minutes per hour, plural.
And I have no idea how to straighten it out.
Maybe put it under a magnifier and poke at it with a strand from a light gauge copper wire?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top