Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2024 9:45:16 AM EDT
I figured this would be a good place to ask. My shop is small and I only work on small items. That said, I need something that can handle cutting hard Australian burl caps and is relatively accurate at tracking. My 40 year old craftsman can’t track wortha damn.

I’m not trying to break the bank but I also don’t want a POS if that makes sense. What’s there to choose from? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:27:53 AM EDT
[#1]
JET
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 11:48:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wildearp:
JET
View Quote
I have this 10" Jet table saw, 1 3/4 hp motor; got it for $500 from a cabinet shop upgrading to a full blown 5 hp cabinet saw.  It's done everything I've wanted from it.  I like Jet tools.  

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 12:06:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: midmo] [#3]
What kind of Craftsman?  It may well be that tuning up that saw to run right will get you twice the saw at a quarter of the price.

ETA: I kinda have a thing for refurbing old bandsaws

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 1:01:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By midmo:
What kind of Craftsman?  It may well be that tuning up that saw to run right will get you twice the saw at a quarter of the price.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/219829/saw6b-3204466.jpg
View Quote

It’s a 10” table top. I’m all ears for restoring it and tuning it. I got it from my grandfather’s estate after he passed. It runs. Just doesn’t track and I don’t have any of the clamps or parts to it
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 1:08:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: midmo] [#5]
Originally Posted By Inquisitive_Spaniard:

It’s a 10” table top. I’m all ears for restoring it and tuning it. I got it from my grandfather’s estate after he passed. It runs. Just doesn’t track and I don’t have any of the clamps or parts to it
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Inquisitive_Spaniard:
Originally Posted By midmo:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/219829/saw6b-3204466.jpg

hmm, yeah a 10" bench saw is probably borderline disposable, but it's worth a shot.  If you just can't get a bandsaw to track correctly, it's almost always one of two things.  Either it needs new tires on the wheels (likely), or the wheels themselves aren't lined up correctly and coplaner.  That or it's just a bum blade, which happens too.

I'd take the blade off, inspect the tires for grooves or other signs of obvious wear, and if they look good try a new blade.

Minor tracking issues can usually be worked out by skewing the fence to match the drift, but it's better just to fix it.  There's no reason a saw shouldn't track straight if the wheels are true and the tires are in good shape.

ETA you can check the alignment of the wheels by laying a straightedge across both of them.  Edges of top and bottom wheels should touch the ruler in four places.  If they're parallel, but in slightly different planes you can use shims to line things up, but if they're twisted in respect to each other I'd just start watching the sale ads again.

You should post a pic of the saw if you can get at it easy enough.  It'd be nice to see what you're dealing with...

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 4:51:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Jet and Grizzly both have some nice table top saws. I have the Grizzly go555 and love it. I bought the extension kit also and can saw logs big enough to be to much for my lathe. Need to know budget and location for an accurate help.
I tried fixing my old 10 inch Delta and never could get it running right. I think it needed new wheels which were no longer available. It wouldn't track anymore and flung the blade off sometimes too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top