Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2024 11:11:42 AM EDT
I guess I’ll give them another try as the last time you couldn’t assign a LAG to be a trunk which they’ve apparently fixed after I contacted them about it.  That was the only thing I disliked about them but it was a dealbreaker.

I got a great deal on them through Amazon.

https://www.qnap.com/en-us/product/qsw-m2116p-2t2s

Is anyone else running these?

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:16:16 AM EDT
[#1]
For residential use?  Zero need.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:33:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FALARAK:
View Quote

I have a lot of 10Gb and 2.5Gb devices at home but I’m not a normal residential user

Now my dedicated lab network can be on 10Gb too.

My primary AP which is a Ruckus R720 Unleashed could use it too.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#3]
View Quote

For you.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 7:41:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a 2.5 main switch a few much smaller 2.5 switches, works great. House is wired with CAT 5E.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:12:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MMcCall] [#5]
I don't understand the appeal of 2.5 when 10gb has been everywhere for ages.  You're not saving much at all, and few endpoints will make use of it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:16:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By MMcCall:
I don't understand the appeal of 2.5 when 10gb has been everywhere for ages.  You're not saving much at all, and few endpoints will make use of it.
View Quote

Find me a reasonably priced 10gbe switch for residential use.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:22:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MMcCall] [#7]
Originally Posted By Josh:

View Quote

L2 or L3?  Fiber or copper?  Run distance between uplinks?  You're asking kind of an open-ended question.

Believe me, I understand buying something just because it's cool and you want it, I have zero problem with that.. I just don't see a compelling use case for upgrading in-place hardware. I inherited 10+ 48-port Aruba switches almost fully populated, running gig copper uplinks.. It hasn't been an issue so far.

ETA: I'm speaking more in general, not necessarily to OP's setup.  I should make that clear.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:58:39 PM EDT
[#8]

L2 or L3?  Fiber or copper?  Run distance between uplinks?  You're asking kind of an open-ended question.

Believe me, I understand buying something just because it's cool and you want it, I have zero problem with that.. I just don't see a compelling use case for upgrading in-place hardware. I inherited 10+ 48-port Aruba switches almost fully populated, running gig copper uplinks.. It hasn't been an issue so far.

ETA: I'm speaking more in general, not necessarily to OP's setup.  I should make that clear.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

It's a rhetorical question, there's really no such thing.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:59:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MMcCall] [#9]

View Quote

Kind of depends on your definition of 'reasonable', boss. As cheap as your basic-bitch Netgear gigabit switch? Of course not.

I'm boring myself though.. hey OP, let's see your lab!
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:03:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mak0] [#10]
View Quote

Some ISP's are offering multi-gig service. Fios has a 2Gb option now in some areas.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:04:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Kind of depends on your definition of 'reasonable', boss. As cheap as your basic-bitch Netgear gigabit switch? Of course not.

View All Quotes

I forgot, supermodel girlfriends and million dollar salaries and all that.

Back here in the real world, 10gbe switches aren't in most people's budget for their home network.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:38:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#12]
There really aren’t any 10Gb RJ45 16+ port switches with POE for under $2K that are remotely home friendly that I can find.

I got a great deal on the switches in the OP which made them cheaper than any equivalent 1Gb switch out there.

My lab isn’t all that impressive but here it is.

The bottom 2 systems are a Proxmox server and an UnRAID server on a separate physical network with a public IP where the router is hosted on my main Proxmox HA cluster.  The 3 switches above the 2 servers are just cold spares for the switches that I use.

Main server rack:
https://nextcloud.fstech.ltd/s/MHs3feSY8FptaZ2/preview

I have an offsite backup server but it’s just a 2U w/ 140TB of HDD’s.

I have ~750TB of HDD’s currently.

Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:47:35 PM EDT
[#13]

Back here in the real world, 10gbe switches aren't in most people's budget for their home network.
View Quote

You're absolutely right, but I doubt most home users need 2.5 any more than they truly need gigabit.  The only 10g I have on my network is between my switch and the NAS, can't really justify anything else.

OP: that's a nice stack.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:51:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#14]
Those 16-port TP-Link SFP+ switches have been rock solid for me for the past couple of years transferring 50TB of data through each weekly. For $500 each I’ve been very happy with them.  I actually use 2 of them at work and they’ve been solid there as well.

The FS switches have been great as well and I’m very happy with them.

ETA: Once you have 10Gb between all of your servers and switches it’s hard to go back.

ETA: 2.5GbE on workstations when transferring 100’s of GB is also spectacular.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:06:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: forager] [#15]
I bought 2 of the Qnap un-managed 10gbe 4 port switches for shits and giggles They were about $140 each...  ran fiber from my basement (where my router and server are located) to my 3rd floor office is. I had a couple of free 10gbe cards that I could use in my server and work PC. It did nothing for my internet but it's fun getting totally useless 800/900 gb per second file transfers

The biggest problem was finding SFP's compatible with both the qnap switch and the PCI cards. Qnap lists nothing for compatible SFPs so it was all trial and error. I ended up using some Finisar SFP's

The main reason for running fiber was that I had a lightning strike behind my house, straight to the ground. Almost everything that had copper Ethernet wires connected took damage. I deduced it to basically either static electricity or EMP. I had battery powered LED lamps that turned themselves on.

ETA: this switch

Qnap
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:18:24 PM EDT
[#16]
That's a nice switch.. I wish 10g copper was on price parity with fiber, but it is what it is.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:18:35 PM EDT
[#17]
I have one of those QNAP switches too. I just wish they were managed.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:20:34 PM EDT
[#18]
That's a nice switch.. I wish 10g copper was on price parity with fiber, but it is what it is.
View Quote

Yeah 10Gb copper is expensive and having POE is basically non-existent.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:57:20 PM EDT
[#19]

You're absolutely right, but I doubt most home users need 2.5 any more than they truly need gigabit.  The only 10g I have on my network is between my switch and the NAS, can't really justify anything else.

View All Quotes

I Do.

I'm starting to get a little annoyed that Unifi doesn't offer desktop switches with 10gbe and POE.

I routinely saturate my 1gb fiber connection on both up and down.
My network also stays pretty busy between 3 rooms/switch's even without streaming and the kids gaming.

it's probably not needed by the majority of people but I'd bet it's more common than some would think.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:54:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By right_rudder:

I'm starting to get a little annoyed that Unifi doesn't offer desktop switches with 10gbe and POE.

View Quote

They probably don't want someone hooking up all that dirty Mac gear to it

10gb copper and POE across all the LAN ports must be an extreme edge case to their marketing folks.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:22:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Fly] [#21]

View Quote

If you don't mind going Chinese, the various realtek based 9303 SFP+ switches seem to work great as unmanaged switches.  I got mine for $90 off Aliexpress.  If you prefer Amazon they're running about $150 there.

For a managed switch, I'd step up to one of the Mikrotik's, like maybe the CRS309-1G-8S+IN.  The web interface on the Mikrotik's is excellent IMHO.

I think the trick to affordable 10gb ethernet is getting away from RJ45.  I've been buying Mellanox 4x cards off ebay for $30, SFP+ transceivers for $4-5 a pop, and then OM3 fiber cables for $4-10 (depending on length).  I use another cheap Chinese switch (8 RJ45 ports at 2.5gb, plus a single SFP+ port to link to my 8 port SFP+ switch) to provide support to the devices that need RJ45.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top