Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/18/2024 7:51:39 PM EDT
A poster here on Arf some time back brought up what I found a rather disturbing idea.  Basically, if the fecal material hits, we would never be able to get back to where we are now; all of the low-hanging fruit in terms of oil & coal have already been mined & used up.  It ain't like the days when you could just stick a pipe in the ground & start selling crude:

There is some basis for this.  If you remember back in the Obungler administration, and the Deepwater BP Oil Spill, they were drilling for oil... two MILES below the ocean's surface.  Fracking is hailed as the savior for our energy independence... but they drill down, and then go SIDEWAYS, deep under the earth:

How the flock do they even do that?!?!?!?

In essence, it's like the creature eating it's own tail; in order to maintain this incredibly complex, technological society we have, we need to have... an incredibly complex, technological society.  Should that "chain" ever be broken, I don't know that we could ever come back from it.  I mean, hell, can you even get a wood fire hot enough to forge steel, much less melt it?

Much as I loathe the left, the facts are that, at least in this, they are right: fossil fuels simply cannot last forever.  The things we're doing now to extract resources are full-blown science-fiction-level stuff; absent computers, high-energy tech, and all the other things that make us who we are, we could never access the remaining oil & coal.  Were we reduced back to 1890's/Amish-level tech, we might very well be stuck there, permanently.

What do you think?  I've heard there is a "sustainable" jet fuel being made now, but we really have not yet come up with a better alternative than plain, old, squished-dinosaurs gasoline to run our cars on.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 7:59:03 PM EDT
[#1]
"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:00:04 PM EDT
[#2]
what
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:04:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: j3_] [#3]
I'm counting on my King's New American Family Physician book to see me through. I hope the 1877 edition is current enough.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:06:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Deny_Everything:
"What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."
View Quote
Thank you for your well-thought-out and erudite reply.  You have really added substance to this conversation.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:09:20 PM EDT
[#5]
https://montanarenewables.com/
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:11:31 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

FPNI.

OP is all over the place and nowhere is a coherent argument made.

Fossil fuels will still be around long after we discover better energy sources.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:13:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I drink your milkshake OP.

( I’m currently sitting on an E-Frac site)
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:16:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By JohnSmith6073:
View Quote
Thank you for actually contributing to this thread, which is way better than all the other posters thus far.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:17:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By macpherson:

FPNI.

View Quote
Which would be....???  Could you forge steel in your back yard?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:20:40 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

The EPA will stil do everything in their power to stop it because it’s “Diesel.”  They should rename it something different like “hydrocarbon unicorn piss.”  No, wait, that’s DEF fluid… but you get the point.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:25:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Nonsense.

There’s plenty of nut coal available - no need to worry about your parlor stove running out.

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:28:47 PM EDT
[#12]
It’s amazing how quickly the world forgot about biodiesel.  Willie Nelson even started his own diesel company to develop it.  You could have it all, tow your house down the road with your brodozer and still get 20 mpg.  

The government started giving subsidies, then Obunghole went into office and sucked on China’s teat with their solar panels, and bye bye biodiesel.  

https://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/17/biowillie-willie-nelsons-biodiesel-dream-goes-up-in-smoke/

The point being, if the reset button ever did get hit, we’ll find a way to meet our energy needs.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:31:55 PM EDT
[#13]

FPNI.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

FPNI.

They will, but like he said, they will be harder and harder to get.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:32:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By jollyg83:
It’s amazing how quickly the world forgot about biodiesel.  Willie Nelson even started his own diesel company to develop it.  You could have it all, tow your house down the road with your brodozer and still get 20 mpg.  

The government started giving subsidies, then Obunghole went into office and sucked on China’s teat with their solar panels, and bye bye biodiesel.  

https://www.autoblog.com/2014/11/17/biowillie-willie-nelsons-biodiesel-dream-goes-up-in-smoke/

The point being, if the reset button ever did get hit, we’ll find a way to meet our energy needs.  
View Quote

It takes a lot of energy to make biodiesel. Especially fertilizers.  Where do you think most fertilizers come from?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:34:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 999monkeys] [#15]
Originally Posted By M1907Sling:
View All Quotes

FPNI.

What do you mean?

Nuclear produces all we need to forge steel.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By targetworks:
Nonsense.

There’s plenty of nut coal available - no need to worry about your parlor stove running out.

View Quote

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE BIG SHIPS?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:38:54 PM EDT
[#17]
If things happened that were bad enough to wipe out all of the current systems we have in place the knowledge still exists. Unless you systematically wipe out anyone who is motivated or remotely intelligent in which case it is a moot point.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:43:26 PM EDT
[#18]
OP, are you ok?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:45:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By NotJackMiller:

It takes a lot of energy to make biodiesel. Especially fertilizers.  Where do you think most fertilizers come from?
View All Quotes

I remember when articles like this were popping up daily.  

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/hybrid-electric/a4031/4302655/

The original diesel was designed to run on vegetable oils.  Now obviously today’s high tech common rail ultra high pressure DEF engines are a different story.  

But if we had to reset, it wouldn’t be a difficult process to develop a basic engine like the original diesel that could run on renewable plant based fuels.  

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:45:37 PM EDT
[#20]
View All Quotes

FPNI.

Uhm..

You know that blacksmiths can make fires really hot with wood fires that they add a blower to increase the temperature of the hot coals.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:45:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By 999monkeys:

What do you mean?

View Quote
Oh!  Cool!  You have a uranium mine in your AO?  And the centrifuges to spin it into useful nuclear material?  Because I don't.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:47:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Societies always come back - unless of course there is some sort of humanity wiping out even like the rapture, the sun dies out, or something of that magnitude.

The only question is what the hierarchy will be and other various societal issues.

So yes, but only time will tell for the rest of the details.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:50:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By LeadBreakfast:
If things happened that were bad enough to wipe out all of the current systems we have in place the knowledge still exists. Unless you systematically wipe out anyone who is motivated or remotely intelligent in which case it is a moot point.
View Quote
Fine & dandy.  Where are we getting the high-tech, computer-driven offshore oil drilling platforms when most people aren't even getting enough to eat?  Think "Great Depression"; most places couldn't even afford paint, much less drilling miles into the earth for oil.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:50:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Relax OP. Once the power grid goes down nation wide, everything else will work itself out in about 6 months.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:51:20 PM EDT
[#25]
View All Quotes

FPNI.

People have been making steel in their backyards since feudal Japan

Nobody think we are going to run out of coal in any meaningful timeframe.  Likewise for oil.  The environmentalists tried making that argument 10 years ago then we found the Bakken.  And other oil formations were mysteriously replenished.

We aren't going to run out of accessible oil.  As time goes on, exploration and extraction methods get better and we gain efficiencies in consumption on the other end.  Eventually other energy sources will become viable.

Its not a problem anyone needs to worry about in in this time period.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:52:57 PM EDT
[#26]
A poster here on Arf some time back brought up what I found a rather disturbing idea.  Basically, if the fecal material hits, we would never be able to get back to where we are now; all of the low-hanging fruit in terms of oil & coal have already been mined & used up.  It ain't like the days when you could just stick a pipe in the ground & start selling crude:

https://assets.cdn.moviepilot.de/files/7291ba2957abda543430b91eb5da633eabe0c394f8fd3d28007a83cf7591/limit/1024/2000/There_Will_Be_Blood_11.jpg

There is some basis for this.  If you remember back in the Obungler administration, and the Deepwater BP Oil Spill, they were drilling for oil... two MILES below the ocean's surface.  Fracking is hailed as the savior for our energy independence... but they drill down, and then go SIDEWAYS, deep under the earth:

https://blog.dixonvalve.com/hs-fs/hubfs/Blog/2018/What%20is%20Fracking/frac%20drilling%20diagram.jpg?width=1836&height=1836&name=frac%20drilling%20diagram.jpg

How the flock do they even do that?!?!?!?

In essence, it's like the creature eating it's own tail; in order to maintain this incredibly complex, technological society we have, we need to have... an incredibly complex, technological society.  Should that "chain" ever be broken, I don't know that we could ever come back from it.  I mean, hell, can you even get a wood fire hot enough to forge steel, much less melt it?

Much as I loathe the left, the facts are that, at least in this, they are  absent computers, high-energy tech, and all the other things that make us who we are, we could never access the remaining oil & coal.  Were we reduced back to 1890's/Amish-level tech, we might very well be stuck there, permanently.

What do you think?  I've heard there is a "sustainable" jet fuel being made now, but we really have not yet come up with a better alternative than plain, old, squished-dinosaurs gasoline to run our cars on.
View Quote
You're assuming we'd want to get back "here." Fuck here. I'm sick to death of here.

SHTF would be horrible, awful, debilitating. But mankind would eventually come back. Meanwhile, all the parasites that created 'here' would die off during the hard times, and those of us (using the collective us, as I'm an old fart and probably wouldn't make it to the resurgence) left would be able to live as we probably already should be living.  So, silver linings and shit.

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:53:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Fine & dandy.  Where are we getting the high-tech, computer-driven offshore oil drilling platforms when most people aren't even getting enough to eat?  Think "Great Depression"; most places couldn't even afford paint, much less drilling miles into the earth for oil.
View All Quotes

We may have to start off with horse and buggy, our grand kids might see internal combustion engines, our great great grandkids might see nuclear power.  

Relax, where there’s a will there’s a way.  It’s always been like that.  Necessity is the mother of invention.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#28]

I believe a competence crisis is what you're thinking about.

If shit goes sideways it will still get done. It may not provide any fruit for those doing it and be insanely inefficient and dangerous, but it will get done.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:58:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Jackslack:
Relax OP. Once the power grid goes down nation wide, everything else will work itself out in about 6 months.
View Quote
I certainly hope so.

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#30]
TLDR.

POOP THREAD
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#31]
You can definitely get wood fired forges hot enough to work steel.  There are a bazillion hobby knife makers out there with backyard forges.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:00:18 PM EDT
[#32]

People have been making steel in their backyards since feudal Japan

Nobody think we are going to run out of coal in any meaningful timeframe.  Likewise for oil.  The environmentalists tried making that argument 10 years ago then we found the Bakken.  And other oil formations were mysteriously replenished.

We aren't going to run out of accessible oil.  As time goes on, exploration and extraction methods get better and we gain efficiencies in consumption on the other end.  Eventually other energy sources will become viable.

Its not a problem anyone needs to worry about in in this time period.
View Quote

Our biggest oil problem is that all the easy to get at oil has been locked behind government regulations.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:01:21 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

count on it.

There might be some innocents that get caught up in the frenzy. So you best be on your game.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:03:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By K5FAL:

The EPA will stil do everything in their power to stop it because it's "Diesel."  They should rename it something different like "hydrocarbon unicorn piss."  No, wait, that's DEF fluid  but you get the point.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By K5FAL:

The EPA will stil do everything in their power to stop it because it's "Diesel."  They should rename it something different like "hydrocarbon unicorn piss."  No, wait, that's DEF fluid  but you get the point.
They've already renamed coal to electricity and decreed that it is the savior of climates despite its miserable fuel to output efficiency.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:05:43 PM EDT
[#35]
It's amazing how quickly the world forgot about biodiesel.  Willie Nelson even started his own diesel company to develop it.  You could have it all, tow your house down the road with your brodozer and still get 20 mpg.  

The government started giving subsidies, then Obunghole went into office and sucked on China's teat with their solar panels, and bye bye biodiesel.  

The point being, if the reset button ever did get hit, we'll find a way to meet our energy needs.  
View Quote
The diesel engine was invented in the first place, (as per its inventor) to provide powerful engines for people in backwater parts of the world without access to petroleum reserves. The original concept was that it would run on vegetable oil.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:06:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By taliv:
You can definitely get wood fired forges hot enough to work steel.  There are a bazillion hobby knife makers out there with backyard forges.
View Quote
Good to know.  I am not a blacksmith, and don't play one on TV; I'd like to think we can re-make society with just what our Founding Fathers had in the 1700's.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:07:54 PM EDT
[#37]
count on it.

There might be some innocents that get caught up in the frenzy. So you best be on your game.
View All Quotes
count on it.

I know how to make stuff.  Unless I'm doing a full-on "Illegal Alien Rape Van" thing, there will be a place for me in the new world.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:08:21 PM EDT
[#38]
View All Quotes
You know we don't really need to go out there to acquire enough oil for our own uses if the government isn't preventing us from drilling into dry land, right?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:10:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Bravo_Six:

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE BIG SHIPS?
View Quote

What about breaking coal into smaller pieces for profit!
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:11:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 999monkeys] [#40]
Oh!  Cool!  You have a uranium mine in your AO?  And the centrifuges to spin it into useful nuclear material?  Because I don't.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 999monkeys:

What do you mean?

Oh, is this some imaginary scenario where a comet hits earth and wipes all existing infrastructure?

By SHTF, I thought you were asking what we would do when fossil fuel became prohibitively expensive to extract.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:15:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Good to know.  I am not a blacksmith, and don't play one on TV; I'd like to think we can re-make society with just what our Founding Fathers had in the 1700's.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By taliv:
All you need to understand is that there are still a shitload of '50s era cars driving around Havana.

Watch some of the African Engineer videos that are all over youtube, where guys with no shoes (or pants, sometimes) are building tractors and/or repairing major drive train components from large vehicles in what are basically dirt floored huts.

So long as some alien race doesn't descend and physically pulverize the entirety of earth's technology, there are guys running around in the wild who'll be able to keep it working, albeit possibly to a lesser efficiency.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:17:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Assuming your concerns have merit (they don't), would failing to make it back to where we are necessarily be a bad thing?

The more I see technology advance, the more I think the Amish have the right idea.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:23:13 PM EDT
[#43]
If directional drilling gets OP’s jimmies in a rustle, we could always go back to fracing with nukes

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:33:48 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

If SHTF bad enough that we needed to "come back," there won't be enough people left that we would need anywhere near the amount of energy we're using right now. The population losses would be enormous.

I bet the remaining people would get by with the remaining "easy to get" fuel for white a while.

And I'm not so sure about all that knowledge still existing. There is knowledge about building and sailing huge sailing vessels (think pirates of the Caribbean) that has been completely lost. It wasn't written down, and the need to pass it on verbally ended with the advent of steam power. If we had to go back to sailing, all of that would have to be re-learned.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:34:32 PM EDT
[#45]
"The fecal matter has impacted the rotating blade cooling device"
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:40:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9D1Alpha] [#46]

The original diesel was designed to run on vegetable oils.  Now obviously today’s high tech common rail ultra high pressure DEF engines are a different story.  

But if we had to reset, it wouldn’t be a difficult process to develop a basic engine like the original diesel that could run on renewable plant based fuels.  

View All Quotes

Just go down to the gulf of Mexico and start centrifuging all the algae from the Mississippi run-off .

* the left over solids could be run through a methane digester
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:54:00 PM EDT
[#47]
The US alone has enough oil for 1,000+ years of current consumption levels.  Thousands of years.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:14:40 PM EDT
[#48]
Humans went from sticks and rocks to nuclear power and space travel once already without even knowing any of it was possible. Even if everything except the understanding that the concepts exist is lost, that still puts us ahead of where we've been before. It may take a while, but I'd count on the species to figure it back out eventually.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:26:30 PM EDT
[#49]
I used to work with a man that had a unique world view. He thought that most advances were made when some lazy guy didn't want to work hard, so he invented devices to make work easier.

Those guys are still out there.

Working in their garage, trying to find a solution to something they see as a problem.

I think we would come back from one of those masturbatory fantasies eventually.

If the remains of the government allows it, that is.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:33:40 PM EDT
[#50]
The planet has spent millions of years creating fuels and you think that mankind has depleted them in 164 years.

I think that fecal matter has gone to your brain.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top