Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:37:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I was a few months shy of four years old. It’s actually one of my earliest memories I guess because it was plastered everywhere.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:48:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I remember it as well
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:48:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Ash all over the place in SoCal for weeks.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:52:44 PM EDT
[#4]
In Missouri we had overcast weather for several days because of the ash.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:55:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I was stationed at Ft. Lewis at the time.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:55:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I was in AZ visiting my grandparents.  A buddy of mine was in Seattle babysitting his cousins kids during the summer.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:57:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Flying into SEATAC on mid tour from Korea, ATC enabled inbound international flights to do a single “hold” prior to landing clearance. Our flight did a nice pattern close enough yet safe enough away to make an impression on nature’s fury.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:01:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Sure do

Painted my car that morning too...

Luckily it dried before the ash fall.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:02:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JarheadPatriot] [#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JMR:
In Missouri we had overcast weather for several days because of the ash.
View Quote
I vaguely remember the ash cloud made it's way east and had an effect on weather patterns as it did.
My earliest memories are Three Mile Island, the Iranian hostage crisis, the eruption. But I feel like this made the biggest memory. Maybe because I was older than the other two, and had better understanding of things. We covered a lot about volcanoes in science class that year.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:02:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: macman37] [#10]
I had a small vial of Mt. St. Helens ash that someone in my extended family collected.

It was a big deal at the time. I was nine-ish.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:03:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Between gas lines, TMI, and the hostage crisis, some mountain in Oregon losing its snowpack a bit early in the season didn't really rate at the time.  Lenon being shot.  Reagan being shot.  Mt St Helens didn't really sink in until probably summer of 1981, or whenever it was the cover of National Geographic.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:06:32 PM EDT
[#12]
My dad’s cousin is Keith Ronnholm and took a bunch of time lapse pictures.

https://petapixel.com/2013/02/26/photographing-the-eruption-of-mount-st-helens-from-10-miles-away/
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:08:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I do.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:12:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JQ66] [#14]
I found a garnet(?) geode fishing for steelhead in the south fork of the toutle river, would have been maybe 1998, it was february.  I did hook up one fresh one, birght silver, over 30", but did not land it, broke off.  I got too impatient.  I was in the area on a work trip.
The geode is about baseball sized.   I can see small crystals in a little hole in the side.  Found some other nice rocks there too. Olivine may be one of the others.
The museums on the road going up to Mt St Helens were worth going to see too.   Got up to the last overlook, and the wind was blowing so hard you could see the big observation windows flexing, so the roped that sectiin of the building off.   Still much of the area looked like a moon scape almost twenty years later.  Was a good trip.
Beautiful area of the country, shame what the people have done to those several states.

Also went to AFrotc field training at McChord in 1986, and we went over to Ft Lewis sveral times,  They had a display at the post museum at Ft Lewis and showed ash that covered some of the buildings.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:13:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Jambalaya:
Yes, it was a big deal.

View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:18:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I was 10 years old. We lived right on the beach in Deep Cove/Indian Arm British Columbia. It blew out all the windows on the south side of the house. I was upstairs and my mother started screaming at me, “What the fuck did you do you little shit”. Good times.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:20:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Who remembers the last time my penis erupted.

This is bullshit.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:22:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I was 40. My 1st cousin lived in Spokane. She and her husband were musicians and sealed their instruments in plastic. They also cobbled up a trash can air filter to strap on the front of their car. A conventional air filter would clog after just a few miles.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:23:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By stiff1:
Eastern Washington checking in. I was a smaller lad (6) but yes, that day and the ones immediately following are etched well in the memory. We were out on the tractor that AM, and I recall the dark horizon and occasional lightning as it approached.Later, sky black as the ace of spades by early afternoon, with an uncomfortable stillness following by a gray “ snow”. We called the school early that year if I recall correctly due to the substantial amount of ash we received.
View Quote

I was 6 years old at the time too and I remember it clearly. My parents were glued to the TV when it was announced. I remember my dad cussing all the people that were too stupid to listen to the evacuation warnings. I also remember thinking that if the volcano blew up shouldn't the mushroom cloud be moving faster? I didn't realize how far away the news cameras had to be to be safe.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:23:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I was 10 years old living in MI.  Didn't really see any effects in MI.  Before the school year was over my 4th grade teacher had a vial of ash we could all touch.  The news and the ash are my biggest memories of the event.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:24:21 PM EDT
[#21]
The eruption blew away 1/3 of the mountain.

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:25:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dagger41] [#22]

Was living in Osoyoos BC at the time. Watched the ash cloud slowly coming up the Okanagan Valley from the South.
The following day everything was covered with fine ash. Everything.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:25:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes.  It was a memorable day in the PNW
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:26:25 PM EDT
[#24]
I was six and remember hearing later that ash killed a bunch of engines. Was told vehicles with oil bath air cleaners fared better. Dad had one on his pickup. He had the engine rebuilt for more power and put on a new low restriction filter. Thought he might’ve jinxed us into another eruption.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:32:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SAE] [#25]
It ringed Korea and Japan it seemed like forever. I owned a white Mazda Lucci and it was a permanent nasty shade of yellowish dirt that would build up significantly especially when deployed farther south where you couldn't tell except the sunsets in some locations were very vivid indeed. I also saw a couple of really beautiful sunrises and sunsets during that time in Hawaii too.

Special ones.

I was there on December 7th 1980 and that part was a somber occasion as I remember.

I had never seen so many veterans in my life not realizing that one day I would be one myself.

I really never expected to live that long anyway.

Hawaii was much different back then as well.

I made some very good friends there and I lost one too.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:33:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By GimpyPaw:
I was living near Portland at the time. We got a few inches of ash, then it rained. Turned our deck grey. All the decks and wooden fences in the area turned grey.

And Windshields. So many people didn’t realize the ash was powdered glass, so they tried clearing the ash off their windshields by turning on the wipers.  For months you would see cars driving around with scratches where the wipers run.
View Quote

I remember the talk about car air filters getting plugged. Airplanes were restricted because the ash scored the cylinders and destroyed engines.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:34:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By RAL:
I was in second grade. I ordered a little bottle of ash from it.
View Quote

I gor one too
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:41:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Got out of school for two weeks.  

I still find ash sometimes.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:43:52 PM EDT
[#29]
I do!
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:27:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By RAL:
I was in second grade. I ordered a little bottle of ash from it.
View Quote

I was in third grade.  And my folks wouldn't buy me a bottle of ash!
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:29:32 PM EDT
[#31]
I was 4 and distinctly remember the eruption. Climbed that bitch in ‘22. It was cool.

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:39:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Reporter Stan Wilson and crew land a helicopter on the peak of Mount St. Helens just 17 days before the May 18, 1980 eruption.

Standing on Mount St. Helens Days Before Eruption - May 1980 | KATU In The Archives
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:41:02 PM EDT
[#33]
 I remember it but it didn't seem like a big deal at the time.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:54:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By SAE:
It ringed Korea and Japan it seemed like forever. I owned a white Mazda Lucci and it was a permanent nasty shade of yellowish dirt that would build up significantly especially when deployed farther south where you couldn't tell except the sunsets in some locations were very vivid indeed. I also saw a couple of really beautiful sunrises and sunsets during that time in Hawaii too.

Special ones.

I was there on December 7th 1980 and that part was a somber occasion as I remember.

I had never seen so many veterans in my life not realizing that one day I would be one myself.

I really never expected to live that long anyway.

Hawaii was much different back then as well.

I made some very good friends there and I lost one too.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:14:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By mooreshawnm:
Blew on my 6th birthday of course I remember. I was in WA at the time.
View Quote

Well Happy Birthday then!
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:14:31 PM EDT
[#36]
I was about 10 . My Granma & Granpa drove out from Ohio and scooped up some samples in a jar and brought them back .
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:17:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:17:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:18:16 PM EDT
[#39]
I wasn’t born at that point. I took this pic of it yesterday, though.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:20:02 PM EDT
[#40]
I was 20.… Wasn't she a convent Ho with large tata's?
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:21:26 PM EDT
[#41]
I was 11 months old.

So no.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:23:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By GimpyPaw:
I was living near Portland at the time. We got a few inches of ash, then it rained. Turned our deck grey. All the decks and wooden fences in the area turned grey.

And Windshields. So many people didn't realize the ash was powdered glass, so they tried clearing the ash off their windshields by turning on the wipers.  For months you would see cars driving around with scratches where the wipers run.
View Quote
I remember that too. I watched it erupt from a hospital window. It was on the news nonstop but everyone was shocked when it erupted.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:29:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Yes I was in the 6th grade.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:37:16 PM EDT
[#44]
I was two, so no.  Saw a lot of volcano and MSH related stuff on TV and in magazines and such growing up, though.

When I was little, I worried about lava coming out of a hole in my backyard.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:43:38 PM EDT
[#45]
I was -10 but I’ve watched every NatGeo and History Channel Documentary about it. Seeing it recorded with today’s tech would have been crazy.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:52:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tjcj] [#46]
Was 3 years old when it happened . Live in Yakima. Remember bits and pieces.  Remember dad coming and walking us to grandma's.  Remember the sky turning dark , and the ash falling for the next couple days . Dad worked for the city and spent to next few weeks plowing ash to clear roads .
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:59:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 12:01:50 AM EDT
[#48]
I was 5, but I remember.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 12:14:36 AM EDT
[#49]
I was 8 years old and living in El Paso, TX.
I remember ash on the cars in the driveway.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 12:26:03 AM EDT
[#50]
My mom and dad took me to a high vantage point in the Seattle area and tried pointing it out to me. I couldn't really make it out well since it was pretty far and I was 3yo, but I technically saw it IRL.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top