View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Badger545:
Originally Posted By StevenH:
The best 10mm self defense load is the .40SW 180 Gn HST

if you pull the 180gr HSTs and load them to full power in a 10mm case

Now you're talking my language

I bet the bullet ould do just fine.

I push 9mm 147gr hst to 1275 and they work beautifully.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:47:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By 797hp:

I have a mountain gun, the recoil is retarded compared to the 10mm

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/498043/IMG_0552_jpeg-3216163.JPG

As for .45, I wouldn’t even consider it for hiking where black bears are present (aka in my backyard)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 797hp:
Originally Posted By Bravo_Six:
Metric hipster caliber.  It's OK, but has no real reason to exist when .44 and .45 is readily available.

It's like 6.5 CM.  A compromise caliber that doesn't do anything better than cartridges developed before it.

I have a mountain gun, the recoil is retarded compared to the 10mm

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/498043/IMG_0552_jpeg-3216163.JPG

As for .45, I wouldn’t even consider it for hiking where black bears are present (aka in my backyard)

You just need the right load. 255gr swc at 950fps will go through any black bear
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:52:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Magtec claims 1230 fps with the FMJ "practice" ammo. Notice I emphasized "claims". Has anybody chronoed it to see what the real FPS is?

What is the original 10mm fps for FMJ supposed to be?

Not what is the max handload capability to push the limits of the round?

Just curious.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:53:17 AM EDT
[#4]
It’s fine for what it is, but the hard core fanboys are annoying as fuck.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:53:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Great cartridge from what I've heard but since I seldom run into Grizzle bears or Samquatches in my area I've never seen a need to add yet another caliber to stockpile or load for.

The biggest threat I might run into here would most likely be a feral methbilly and 9mm, .40 or .45 is more than enough for those oxygen thieves if needed.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:54:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:
It's fine for what it is, but the hard core fanboys are annoying as fuck.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:55:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Gunnie357:

Didn’t 45 Super come after 10mm and basically just duplicate its ballistics?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Precious87:

I'm not talking about "matching" ballistics.  I'm talking about exceeding performance.

TBH, .260 is another hipster cartridge that only became somewhat cool after CM came out.  .308 is a better hunting round and .243 is a better LR round.  Both came out decades before.  Nobody wants to "match" .260 or CM because they do nothing better.

There's always something that'll exceed a given cartridge's performance.

.308 (which I load for) hits harder, but doesn't reach as far as the 6.5. The 6mm (.243 is a barrel burner, if you care about that).

You're comparing apples to oranges and stating there's no reason for the 10 when two completely different (even from each other) cartridges exist.

The 10mm was Jeff Cooper's brainchild.  He wanted something that could be squeezed into a CZ75, but was capable of stopping a human threat at the time.  The 10mm never even reached that goal, in that it was never chambered in a CZ75.  We were left with the .40, which is also probably OK, but meh.

.45 Super, which is simply a hot ACP, does everything a 10 does, and more.  If you want more juice, .44 mag has been around since the 50s.

Really, all of this praise for compromise calibers is a celebration of mediocracy that reeks of communism.  We should strive to make better things, not adequate things.

I'm not sure which came first but I think the benefit of the super is that you just take your .45 acp, swap a few springs and be able to shoot both.

Top end .45 supers are just a tad behind 10mm energy wise but realistically they would perform so similarly except that the. 45 is a bit bigger and ime with hardcast that does help.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:56:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Which would make them perform worse. Great plan
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Badger545:
The best 10mm self defense load is the .40SW 180 Gn HST

if you pull the 180gr HSTs and load them to full power in a 10mm case

Says who? 147gr 9mm hst work better at 1275 than 1000.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:00:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By watgar:

You are a noteworthy poster here in my eyes, hurts my feels to be called that by you

But , whatever
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By watgar:
Originally Posted By 03RN:

No they don't.  Yea, you probably are.

You are a noteworthy poster here in my eyes, hurts my feels to be called that by you

But , whatever

I bet if you went and shot a few things with .357 mags, 44 mag, or a .45 colt then you wouldn't think handguns suck
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:05:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:08:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I personally love Winchester Subsonic.  It's like a 45 ACP but without the stem binds.

Kidding aside, Buffalo Bore is my favorite when I can find it.  I have the ability to reload, but have been too lazy to set up the 650.

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:09:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I bought a Kimber Camp Guard several years ago.  That thing is a tack drive and makes me look like an expert pistol marksman.

Kimber photo

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:09:40 AM EDT
[#13]

I'm not sure which came first but I think the benefit of the super is that you just take your .45 acp, swap a few springs and be able to shoot both.

Top end .45 supers are just a tad behind 10mm energy wise but realistically they would perform so similarly except that the. 45 is a bit bigger and ime with hardcast that does help.
View All Quotes

I'm not talking about "matching" ballistics.  I'm talking about exceeding performance.

TBH, .260 is another hipster cartridge that only became somewhat cool after CM came out.  .308 is a better hunting round and .243 is a better LR round.  Both came out decades before.  Nobody wants to "match" .260 or CM because they do nothing better.

.308 (which I load for) hits harder, but doesn't reach as far as the 6.5. The 6mm (.243 is a barrel burner, if you care about that).

You're comparing apples to oranges and stating there's no reason for the 10 when two completely different (even from each other) cartridges exist.

The 10mm was Jeff Cooper's brainchild.  He wanted something that could be squeezed into a CZ75, but was capable of stopping a human threat at the time.  The 10mm never even reached that goal, in that it was never chambered in a CZ75.  We were left with the .40, which is also probably OK, but meh.

.45 Super, which is simply a hot ACP, does everything a 10 does, and more.  If you want more juice, .44 mag has been around since the 50s.

Really, all of this praise for compromise calibers is a celebration of mediocracy that reeks of communism.  We should strive to make better things, not adequate things.

There close enough to not matter I’m sure both will likely do anything asked of them. Variety is the spice of life
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:12:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By DOG556:
How’s the Winchester offerings?
View Quote

They aren't bad aside from the WWB FMJ stuff. The rest aren't quite Underwood of Buffalo Bore loads, but they aren't .40 either.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:16:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SigZag] [#15]
Love the 10mm. Full power loads using 800x and 200g hard cast bullets. Hard hitting and super accurate out of my Sig X Ten Comp or my P220 SAO.

10 shots @ 15yds.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:18:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Metric hipster caliber.  It's OK, but has no real reason to exist when .44 and .45 is readily available.

It's like 6.5 CM.  A compromise caliber that doesn't do anything better than cartridges developed before it.
View Quote
I think some people who post here don't know the difference between rimmed cases, revolvers, pistols, semi-auto, single action, etc...
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:18:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By cornhskr:
Reloading 10mm is where the magic happens.
View Quote
^This, plus long barrels and light bullets.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 9:32:55 AM EDT
[#18]
View Quote

Do you have anything to support this, or is it speculative?

View Quote

Is diameter or sectional density more important? My philosophy with hard cast has always been to go with the heaviest load (that feeds) by bullet weight, even if it doesn't have the energy of the light and fast for caliber loads loaded to similar pressures. This is why I don't buy into things like the the extremely light philips head solid copper loads, they may have more energy but a wide flat meplat with weight behind it penetrates and is less likely to deflect striking bone.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:38:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By SigZag:
Love the 10mm. Full power loads using 800x and 200g hard cast bullets. Hard hitting and super accurate out of my Sig X Ten Comp or my P220 SAO.

https://www.sigtalk.com/attachments/20240416_142913-jpg.590288/?hash=9c4c5f4c53ee6365fb72c4d9a30eec64

10 shots @ 15yds.
View Quote

See, 10 mike mike is so great, it draws new posters to arfcom.

Welcome aboard!
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By SigZag:

https://www.sigtalk.com/attachments/20240416_142913-jpg.590288/?hash=9c4c5f4c53ee6365fb72c4d9a30eec64

10 shots @ 15yds.
View Quote

Welcome fellow gun enthusiast!

Nice first post, nice gun, nice chootin'.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:02:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rstel01] [#21]
Drank the 10mm Kool-Aid a couple of months ago.

They're not wrong IMO... really enjoying it, that Sig is probably best handgun that ergonomically fits my meat paws. For recoil, the normal 180 JHP and FMJ's are nothing. Even the "Underwood" and "Buffalo Bore" Extreme Penetrators/Hard Casts aren't excessive in my book.

Its become my go-to carry piece in a chest rig when I'm milling about my Mountain Parcel in WV and "home" in PA as the bed-side (where I've had black bear come to bedroom and try to push through windows as, the house is also on a mountain and all glass across backside of master bedroom).

Full Disclosure, always believed the .45acp came from God to JMB. Counted myself lucky still had and carried the 1911 as "issued" sidearm before the 92 was fully adopted.

My "zombie apocalypse" sidearm would have been my beloved 1918 built 1911 (non A1). Wasn't the usual Fudd/Boomer (although X) "anti-9mm", have plenty modern in 9, my wife evens runs a nice VP-9 and small Glock whatever as her carry. I just dug the .45 as the perfect caliber with 7.62x25 as a close second. Even have a sub-compact XDS in .45 somewhere in the house.  

Cooper and the FBI in 86 were probably right regarding 10mm.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:04:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Would love a 10mm FMJ at 1300 fps. Or faster
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:10:40 AM EDT
[#23]
G20 10mm = My Favorite woods gun
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:14:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Taom:  10mm is best mm.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:18:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Gunnie357:  Didn’t 45 Super come after 10mm and basically just duplicate its ballistics?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:19:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By BornIn1776:
Are we talking about the socket? I keep losing mine.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:21:16 AM EDT
[#27]
It will probably remain as popular as the 41 mag.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:22:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By DarkLordVader:  I think some people who post here don't know the difference between rimmed cases, revolvers, pistols, semi-auto, single action, etc...
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:26:03 AM EDT
[#29]

I bet if you went and shot a few things with .357 mags, 44 mag, or a .45 colt then you wouldn't think handguns suck
View Quote

Fair enough
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:50:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Voted "Love it" but really undecided. I have a Gen 5 G20 and a S&W 610. Most loads are for bear defense and almost all are handholds. The 610 really doesn't make much sense. If I'm going to carry a heavy revolver I'll carry 44 Mag or 45 Colt Mountain Gun. But, the 610 can handle really hot or heavy loads. The G20 is a snappy SOB but wins for capacity. I've upgraded to a KKM barrel, tungsten guide rod and heavy spring, etc. When I get into the same realm as Underwood etc I start having function issues regardless of barrel and spring. I'm tempted to just go back to stock for reliability sake, but then there's no point in running heavy loads, so again...less effective. But now I'm deep into reloading this cartridge, so I'm going to keep it until I can get it to work.

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:54:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Put me in the Love it column.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 12:00:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By AK-12:

Is diameter or sectional density more important? My philosophy with hard cast has always been to go with the heaviest load (that feeds) by bullet weight, even if it doesn't have the energy of the light and fast for caliber loads loaded to similar pressures. This is why I don't buy into things like the the extremely light philips head solid copper loads, they may have more energy but a wide flat meplat with weight behind it penetrates and is less likely to deflect striking bone.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AK-12:

I like both. I think that 255gr in a .45 acp has enough sectional density to do what I would want of it. I've hunted a lot with .45 colts loaded similar and I've had full shoulder to hip penetration with broken bones and exits.

I'm not saying that heavy .45 acp is better than heavy 10mm. Its just easy to get close without new guns and a caliber to load for
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#33]

There close enough to not matter I’m sure both will likely do anything asked of them. Variety is the spice of life
View All Quotes

That's where I'm at.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 12:38:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Scooter1942:
Voted "Love it" but really undecided. I have a Gen 5 G20 and a S&W 610. Most loads are for bear defense and almost all are handholds. The 610 really doesn't make much sense. If I'm going to carry a heavy revolver I'll carry 44 Mag or 45 Colt Mountain Gun. But, the 610 can handle really hot or heavy loads. The G20 is a snappy SOB but wins for capacity. I've upgraded to a KKM barrel, tungsten guide rod and heavy spring, etc. When I get into the same realm as Underwood etc I start having function issues regardless of barrel and spring. I'm tempted to just go back to stock for reliability sake, but then there's no point in running heavy loads, so again...less effective. But now I'm deep into reloading this cartridge, so I'm going to keep it until I can get it to work.

View Quote

A comp is really the only way to control slide velocity on a Glock. You can add stronger mag springs to try and keep it from outrunning the mags, but you can't change the FPS proile and hammer spring weight to slow unlocking like you can on a 1911.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 12:46:24 PM EDT
[#35]
I have a G20 but really would like to get the FN510.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 12:51:38 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

You have a lot more mag capacity with a 10mm. It is much more of an efficient cartridge.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 12:52:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: konger] [#37]
Originally Posted By bikertrash:
Magtec claims 1230 fps with the FMJ "practice" ammo. Notice I emphasized "claims". Has anybody chronoed it to see what the real FPS is?

What is the original 10mm fps for FMJ supposed to be?

Not what is the max handload capability to push the limits of the round?

Just curious.
View Quote

I bought several dusty boxes of the original Norma loading I found on a shelf of an old country gun store once. The package stated 200 gr. @ 1200 fps. I know we chronographed some and it was around 1050-1080 FPS from memory and that from the stock Glock 20 bbl. I hand loaded the 10mm quite a bit for awhile. You really had to push the boundaries in stock configuration to get anywhere close to claimed velocities for the cartridge and the oftentimes resulted in unreliable function, regardless of higher poundage spring changes.

I divested myself from the cartridge and do not miss it. Great concept on paper. Not in real life. At least not for me in my sample of one gun. YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 1:20:40 PM EDT
[#38]
I may have to start reloading
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 1:42:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By konger:

I bought several dusty boxes of the original Norma loading I found on a shelf of an old country gun store once. The package stated 200 gr. @ 1200 fps. I know we chronographed some and it was around 1050-1080 FPS from memory and that from the stock Glock 20 bbl. I hand loaded the 10mm quite a bit for awhile. You really had to push the boundaries in stock configuration to get anywhere close to claimed velocities for the cartridge and the oftentimes resulted in unreliable function, regardless of higher poundage spring changes.

I divested myself from the cartridge and do not miss it. Great concept on paper. Not in real life. At least not for me in my sample of one gun. YMMV.
View Quote

The Bren Ten, full size S&W 3rd gen 10mms, and Delta Elite all have 5" barrels, with the Glock 40 and many 1911s having 6" barrels. Like .357 Mag you really do get a lot more out of a little more barrel length, and I'd bet those Normas tested out of a 6" bbl
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 2:01:21 PM EDT
[#40]
I don't love OR hate it I'm indifferent but I think it'll remain fairly popular because it's the "easy button" for a little more power out of a semiauto.
A lot of people seem to want/need that.

All it needs to avoid becoming a forgotten, obscure, specialty chambering is for the news to report someone being eaten by a bear (or other suitable animal) every 12 months or so and that always seems to happen.

I think it fills that hole better than any of the other options, ie being "easy" and "off the shelf".
Add in that it's commonly available from Glock, and bingo, it will continue to sell.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 2:05:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:
It’s fine for what it is, but the hard core fanboys are annoying as fuck.
View Quote

Any hard core fanboy is annoying as hell.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 2:08:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By DOG556:
So the 10mm- do you love it or hate it? Most ammo mfgs only make 10mm in 40cal velocities. Buffalo Bore- Underwood and Grizzly make some real 10mm loadings.

So for the 10mm fans out there what is the best 10mm mfg over the counter round for self defense? What’s the best for hunting hard to kill wild animals? Thank you. Let’s hear it
View Quote

I’ve met very few calibers I’ve hated. Some are superfluous, but I digress.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 2:34:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Muricha] [#43]
Attachment Attached File

Bears don’t seem to be any less scared if I’m packing ACP or SUPER.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:07:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#44]
Originally Posted By GaryM:
10mm
in a 1911
Number 1 on the awesome chart.
View Quote
My last 10mm was in a 2011ish model.  I had very high hopes for it - but it is all over the paper.  Maybe me, but nobody else has shot it any better.

In the end, I have a lot more 9mm and 11.25mm.  Those poor 10mm don't get to come out and play much.  Perhaps it is my everything suppressed attitude.  10mm just is not the greatest host.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm a fan (I always post this pic in the weekly 10mm threads)
Attachment Attached File

Handloading this cartridge is definitely an improvement over factory though.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:49:52 PM EDT
[#46]
bought a g20 for a camping gun 8 years ago.I dont shoot it much as i dont like it for a target gun but a hard gun to beat for outdoors.At the time i was considering a 4 inch 357mag but prices were higher than i liked and remembered my old neighbor telling me about his sw1006 10mm and how great it was.

I began reading up on the ballistics and made sense go with the g20.I also reload so that was a big factor in going with the 10mm,IMO its a reloaders cartridge and i have found my limits on reloading 180 bullets.Have pushed 14.8 grains of aa9 on second fired brass before i began to see more case expansion than i wanted.Not glock smileys but almost there.Have new starline for my nuclear woods load.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 6:19:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By ar15robert:
bought a g20 for a camping gun 8 years ago.I dont shoot it much as i dont like it for a target gun but a hard gun to beat for outdoors.At the time i was considering a 4 inch 357mag but prices were higher than i liked and remembered my old neighbor telling me about his sw1006 10mm and how great it was.

I began reading up on the ballistics and made sense go with the g20.I also reload so that was a big factor in going with the 10mm,IMO its a reloaders cartridge and i have found my limits on reloading 180 bullets.Have pushed 14.8 grains of aa9 on second fired brass before i began to see more case expansion than i wanted.Not glock smileys but almost there.Have new starline for my nuclear woods load.
View Quote
 I stopped at 13.9 (Shooter's World. Heavy Pistol- A9 equivalent) and in my 1911 it works wonderfully.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:03:59 PM EDT
[#48]
I used to like it but now I'm kind of indifferent towards it, as advancements in bullet technology mean that that you don't necessarily have to push a slug to magnum-like levels to achieve good performance.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:15:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Fugitive:
 I stopped at 13.9 (Shooter's World. Heavy Pistol- A9 equivalent) and in my 1911 it works wonderfully.
View Quote

I like 13.5 for a strong plinker round well within specs and not as weak as factory 10mm ammo.

My woods ammo is 14.5 charge with a 180 but looking to get the copper penetrator bullets. Feel fine on that load with new brass. I know every gun is different and why I worked up to a certain level. My 13.5 was about 1220fps.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 7:41:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Taom:
10mm is best mm.
View Quote

11.43mm is best mm

Attachment Attached File
Page / 4
10mm love or hate (Page 3 of 4)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top