Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2024 1:33:55 PM EDT
Just got a new to me home, and I need some garage storage ideas. I was looking at these, as the wife prefers cabinets to shelving. They will fit in the space allocated, which will also have my Craftsman 3 tier rolling toolbox and a small deep freezer, all along the wall.

Has anyone used the Husky system before, and does anyone have anything better to compare?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 3:52:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ACEB36TC] [#1]
I bought this about 15 years ago at a Ritchie Bros. Auction. It's made by "Suihe". It's been bullet proof. Steel roller bearings on all the drawers. I buying another one in a different configuration. IIRC it was about $1400. They come up often as NIB at those auctions all over the country and others as well. https://www.rbauction.com/?keywords=suihe
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#2]
The brand "new age" was the rage for a few years.  They were heavily hopping on the influencer youtube train.  Lots of paid/sponsored reviews.  They seem like decent product.

Their customer service apparently sucks ballsacks.  And there are threads on the garagejournal where a guy received rusty product and newage refused to warranty them.  Blamed it on him living in florida.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:46:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Cabinets are good. If you don't want to pay full retail, check out local classifieds/craigslist. I might put some up once I get the walls finished.

The only drawback for me with cabinets is lack of visibility of what's inside, so labeling them is a thing to do so others can find cleaners, towels, light bulbs, whatever. However, I don't have a problem remembering where things are (usually).

I used to work on a race team. I took a year off and late into the season, my b-i-l calls me up and asks "hey, I'm looking for that *special tool used once in a blue moon*, do you happen to remember where we kept it?" Without hesitation I say "Black cabinet, middle shelf on the left, in the back behind the gear oil."

"Thank you!"

I have 3 of those wire racks for all the misshapen items for camping, water toys, etc. I need to get wheels for all of them so I can move them easy. My goal is to have everything off the floor of the garage, or on wheels. I have a tall garage ceiling, so I have 4 overhead racks that have excess camping gear, Christmas decor, seasonal decor, and misc s**t. Sometime this summer I'll make time to go thru the s**t.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:03:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K1rodeoboater] [#4]
Honestly it kinda depends on what you want out of a storage system, what you intend to store, what your budget it, and how much time you're willing to spend putting this together.

Personally I've not found any of the big box store metal cabinets to be all that useful.  For my garage if I wanted to go with a COTS type of system, it would only really work on 1 wall of my garage, the back wall.  On the sides the base and free standing cabinets would protrude too much.  I ended up saying screw it and have started building my own carcasses because I couldn't find suitable options for pre-fab or assemble it yourself type cabinets.  I'm not really "saving" any money doing it this way, but I'm getting exactly what I want.

Don't forget to think about how to use your ceiling for storage of things as well.  You can get a cheap electric winch and raise/lower a storage platform that way.  I've got some metal rails I use to store some black and yellow totes up by the garage door.  I also built a shelf above my wall cabinets that sits just slightly below the garage door track so I can store more totes or other bulky/light/rarely used stuff up there.  I use blue painters tape and write what's inside of any non-opaque totes.  Cabinets will likely get labels or color coded doors.  If I really want to Gucci it up I might make the doors "white boards" so I can write on them.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:03:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#5]
I have my garage wall lined with NSF certified wire rack shelves on wheels.  You don't have to open every door to find what you need.  You can clean or dust things with a leaf blower. They can also be moved without unloading and can be swept or vacuumed under the bottom shelf.  

If you have a particularly nasty garage project, you can easily hang a tarp along the length of the shelves.  

Wives have no say in garage storage.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:18:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 3-car, and the 3rd bay is a little shorter than the rest, so that one is now my home gym (once I get s**t cleaned up). I have one of those multiple-use cable/squat rack gyms, a rower and exercise bike. That takes up less than 1/2 the bay, so in the other half it'll be a workbench/woodworking stuff. I plan on hanging a curtain (or likely a thick plastic sheet) from the big beam that divides the ceiling, so the dust and junk stays in the one bay. I thought about closing it off, but I want the openness of the garage. Plus more wall space means "lean more s**t against it!"

Between the big door and small door I'm hanging my shopvac, so it'll reach in the garage and outside. Garden stuff all got moved to a shed (finally!). I have the 4' LED lights to put on the ceiling, probably add a couple more than what I have because they're really bright. Might even do the garage door lights, that looks pretty cool.

I have a 42" toolbox that has almost everything in it- when I build my workbench a lot will go in there.

Then I gotta get rid of Jeep parts, extraneous camping gear, the appliances that came with the house that we never used, and whatever crap I don't need. And convince the wife to dump stuff she'll never use or get around to using. We have enough hobbies, we don't need any more.

The sad thing is working in the garage stresses me the f**k out because it's not done how I want it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:27:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't have cabinets in the garage, but I did install a set of these to store lumber and pipe.
All it takes is a little wall space, they're very efficient. Sure beats piling stuff on the floor.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:42:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: K1rodeoboater] [#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By wheel:
I don't have cabinets in the garage, but I did install a set of these to store lumber and pipe.
All it takes is a little wall space, they're very efficient. Sure beats piling stuff on the floor.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71eTBQNf9DL._AC_SX679_.jpg

View Quote
I've got 2 sets of these too.  They're pretty strong for what they are, on sale they're a good deal but not on sale they were expensive.  You can DIY this with a 2x4 on edge, drill a hole with a forstner bit to fit 3/4 EMT into it.  Use lag screws to secure to wall.  If I were to do it again I'd install shelf standards and use the shelf brackets.

Another option is to use unistrut
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top