Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2024 2:55:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MTNShewter]
Guys,  I’m building a deck onto an offgrid cabin this summer.  I put in some fence posts last summer and did all the work to dig the holes through rocky soil by hand.  Tons of smashing rocks with those heavy pointed rod things and scooping out tiny bits at a time.

This year I’m putting in 10 or 12 6x6 posts to support the beams for the deck.  They’ll be wider and deeper than the fence posts.

I’m looking for a small electric jackhammer up to this task.  I’m thinking the type used for removing tile, breaking concrete, etc.

I’m already invested in dewalt flexvolt 60v tools so I’ve looked into the DCH911 ($1400 and comes with 15ah battery at HD) and the DCH892 ($1000 with a 9AH battery).  Think these tools are up to this task?  Are they overkill?

I need to make about 24” holes at least
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 3:00:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Rent a post hole digger and a jack hammer.  Don't buy the stuff, rent it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 4:36:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I should have mentioned I looked into that first.  I do have a battery bank and inverter out there but I don’t want to use crazy fast drain tools direct off of it.  Rather use batteries if possible.  That would save some cash though.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 4:55:46 PM EDT
[#3]
That Harbor Freight generator wouldn't run your well pump, so you had to return it.

Kidding, because you'll find many uses to keep it.  Make sure it is 20 amp capable and buy HF's big jack hammer.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 5:06:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rifleman_556] [#4]
Never tried a battery jackhammer, but I did rent a corded one to put in some fence posts a couple years ago.  It worked pretty well, but longer bits would have been nice. Funny you post this now, I’m about to buy the HF corded jackhammer for more fence posts

7 days of use puts me at the break-even point vs renting, and this way I can hammer on my own schedule. With a 2 year warranty I can also rent it out to my neighbors without fear  

I have a generator that I run my welder, air compressor, etc off of all mounted on a trailer along with most of my tools
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 5:54:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Bosch bulldog sds plus
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:55:58 AM EDT
[#6]
No way to run a 3,500 watt generator and a corded jackhammer (probably rent it)?

I have REALLY rocky soil here, seems like more rocks than dirt and one thing I learned is that breaking up rocks is a lot more difficult than concrete especially since the dirt absorbs and dissipates some of the energy from the hammer. Bigger is better in this case, and that's why I'd use an 1-1/8" electric jackhammer, not an SDS max or especially SDS plus hammer. Doubly so if they were cordless tools, probably run those batteries down in hurry. At least with electric it keeps going (and fueling a generator is easy).

I have the one pictured and couldn't break a rock that was a little bigger than a basketball. I resorted to using my SDS plus rotary hammer and drilling a bunch of holes were it was exposed and in the way, then using the SDS max hammer to break off what I could.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 11:00:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Rent a gas powered air compressor and a pneumatic jack hammer.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Guess depends on how much you got to do on present project, and if you'll have future projects.

I've rented a harbor freight Hercules jackhammer from neighbors for some sandstone slabs I busted up.

It weight approx 75lbs, worked just fine busting up a 6" thick concrete pad & the thick sandstone slab north side of my acreage.

Last I looked it cost $600+ new at hf.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:41:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Seabee_Mech] [#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ndenway1twicetimes:
Guess depends on how much you got to do on present project, and if you'll have future projects.

I've rented a harbor freight Hercules jackhammer from neighbors for some sandstone slabs I busted up.

It weight approx 75lbs, worked just fine busting up a 6" thick concrete pad & the thick sandstone slab north side of my acreage.

View Quote
I have the Hercules Hex Breaker Hammer, I used it to break up a 5" wire reinforced slab. It worked like a champ, just wish I has sprung for the hand cart to go with it  

Nobody in the area rents jack hammers in the even with big 3 equipment rental places and a Home Depot. HF saved the day.

ETA: Make sure you have a heavy duty extension cord and preferably a 20A circuit, 15 amp will work but may trip the breaker if there's other stuff running on that circuit.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 3:51:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Seabee_Mech:
I have the Hercules Hex Breaker Hammer, I used it to break up a 5" wire reinforced slab. It worked like a champ, just wish I has sprung for the hand cart to go with it  

Nobody in the area rents jack hammers in the area even with big 3 equipment rental places and a Home Depot. HF saved the day.

ETA: Make sure you have a heavy duty extension cord and preferably a 20A circuit, 15 amp will work but may trip the breaker if there's other stuff running on that circuit.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/119852/Breaker_Hammer-3146225.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Seabee_Mech:
Originally Posted By Ndenway1twicetimes:

Nobody in the area rents jack hammers in the area even with big 3 equipment rental places and a Home Depot. HF saved the day.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/119852/Breaker_Hammer-3146225.jpg

I said rented, guess it was really traded the sandstone slabs for use of their jackhammer I used to bust it up with.

The concrete pad I busted up I put into a washout/bar ditch.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:36:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I’m curious on this subject.  I need to break  the slab in one of my shops to replace posts that have been hit with equipment.  Last time I rented a 60lb hammer and as on every job used it five minutes tops lol.  6” is just too much for any of my roto hammers and don’t need a sds max for work.  I’ve seen some vevor brand 60lb hammers on Amazon for about $150. I’m tempted to try it. Even if just does a few projects at home and never makes it to the work trailer.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:52:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By lugert:
I’m curious on this subject.  I need to break  the slab in one of my shops to replace posts that have been hit with equipment.  Last time I rented a 60lb hammer and as on every job used it five minutes tops lol.  6” is just too much for any of my roto hammers and don’t need a sds max for work.  I’ve seen some vevor brand 60lb hammers on Amazon for about $150. I’m tempted to try it. Even if just does a few projects at home and never makes it to the work trailer.
View Quote

I mean it has a 30 day return window. So, if it doesn't work as you want just return it.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 1:29:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MTNShewter] [#13]
Thanks for all the input guys.  Sorry I’ve neglected my own thread.  A neighbor loaned me his bulldog (pictured).  I tried using off the bluetti 240Max battery last weekend.  With good sun and 900 watts of solar coming off the roof I couldn’t even put the tiniest dent in the battery %.

I was using the 1.5” angled spade shown in the picture.  It’s angled for removing tile and while it worked it was slow going and was hell on my hands.  Called it quits on Sunday and left hand is still killing me.  I got a straight spade that’s a little narrrower so hopefully will be easier/faster and not hurt my pussy hand so much.

Attachment Attached File

And the new pummeler.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#14]
So I'll be the odd man out here... if the grounds that solid why do you need to sink footings? Frost? Lateral wind loads?
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 7:39:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Thank you for reassuring me.  I’m only going about 18” down.  People balk that it’s not deep enough to code or past the frost layer, but I’m cementing these things into solid rock.  So yeah I might not even need to go this deep.  We get some rain, a bit of snow etc, but generally dry as hell.
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:28:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MTNShewter] [#16]
It’s coming along.

Attachment Attached File

Took this one Friday night.  Put some unused planks on top to have some temporary decking to relax on while I waited for night time.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:47:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Looking good OP. What general region of CO are you in?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top