Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2022 11:42:02 AM EDT
Stupid question but I honestly don't know... How much does a 20ga recoil compared to a 12ga? I know load, gun type, fit all play into it but in general how much of a difference is there? 10% less? 50%?

I only own and shot 12ga shotguns and that's all anybody I know owns or has used too. My wife would like to try some clay shooting but she's had a number of neck and shoulder issues over the last couple of years which will be a major problem. I know she won't be able to handle any 12ga regardless of the variables. As a point of reference, an AR15 with an H3 buffer shooting mild 55gr loads is too much for her so I'm not too optimistic about a 20ga?

I don't have anyplace local to take her to try anything before buying so I'm just trying to get an idea if a 20ga offers enough of a reduction in recoil to even bother considering it?
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 12:06:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: johnh57] [#1]
Standard 12 ga target loads are 1 oz or 1-1/8 oz.  Anywhere from 1150 - 1200 fps.   20 ga. Target loads are 7/8 oz, typically 1200 fps.  Free recoil is a function of mass x velocity2.  Basically, in guns of identical weight the recoil of a 20 will be roughly 10-15% less than a 12 ga.

But, 20 ga guns are typically lighter than 12 ga gun. So the actual recoil energy may be more than your 12 ga.

If you look there are 7/8 oz 12 ga loads (typically high muzzle velocity) and there are 12 ga low recoil loads (typically lower muzzle velocity and lower shot weight).  There are a lot more options on the market for reduced recoil 12 ga than there are for low recoil 20 ga.

We had some 7/8 oz 12 ga target loads at the club.  The people that shot them said the recoil was less than they were used to.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 12:13:14 PM EDT
[#2]
If she can't shoot an AR then I would forget about a shotgun.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 12:19:31 PM EDT
[#3]
The more open choke on a 12 really helps. My modified sbe Benelli is a dream to shoot 6 & 8 shot
I have friends that swear by a 20 though.
So much fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 12:47:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#4]
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 1:57:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Number1gun] [#5]
OP..Given your explanation I don’t see 20 working out.

If she has issues with .223/556 she will not be able to handle anything but a 410 and that is probably too much.
You are in a zone with few options. Heavier gun means Shoulder, arm strength will need work. Lighter gun means felt recoil through the shoulder. Everything is a compromise.
I would try a gas gun in 28 or 410 first.

and..ease into it. Especially with her physical issues. Just holding the gun up is going to be un natural and awkward to uncomfortable in the beginning. She may find some shoulder pain from just a few rounds in the beginning but needs to stick with it over a period of time to give her physical issues a chance to becom accustomed to it.
Good luck
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 3:53:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AR_Dale:
If she can't shoot an AR then I would forget about a shotgun.
View Quote

That is what I'm afraid of. In fairness, the issue shooting the AR is from a couple of years ago. She's had some surgeries since to address those issues and she is better now but not back to 100% and may never be? Neither of us want to push it so if we do proceed, it will be with extreme caution. I have a Beretta 391 which is a fairly soft shooting gas gun so I'll see if I can find some 7/8oz loads and see how they feel to me (and if the gun can cycle them) before letting her try it?
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 4:05:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Probably reasonable.  

Don't let her shoot it a bunch first time out.

Also - people recoil sensitive tend to not pull the gun firmly into their shoulder - because they are scared of the recoil.   A loose shoulder mount hurts.  She has to pull it in good and snug.
Link Posted: 8/25/2022 4:12:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Beretta makes a nice 28ga gas gun.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 11:16:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Assuming she is small, I would recommend a 20 ga youth gas gun.  There are some decent Turkish options.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 11:48:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#10]
There are some Winchester subsonic super light trap loads running around, also, some very light mini-shells in 12 ga.

Think Winchester put out some subsonic 20 ga ultra light trap loads as well.

ETA:  The new Mossberg Shockwaves run 12 ga mini-shells natively, would give her a 2 hand grip, less recoil to the shoulder.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 12:02:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Look at shell prices and the price difference.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 12:12:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By olivers_AR:
Look at shell prices and the price difference.
View Quote

What does that have to do with his question?
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 12:26:52 AM EDT
[#13]
A semi-auto will have much less felt recoil than a pump or break open shotgun.

That being said I do not know of any 20 gauge semi auto shotguns.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 12:43:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Willz:
A semi-auto will have much less felt recoil than a pump or break open shotgun.

View Quote

Beretta makes the a400 xplor in 20g. I guy I dove hunt with occasionally has one. very nice, compact and lightweight.

My beretta 1301t is the lightest shotgun I own, and the only one that doesn’t bruise my shoulder after a few boxes of shells. The kick off system in the higher end semi autos stocks is supposed to help reduce recoil even more.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 1:16:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Willz:  A semi-auto will have much less felt recoil than a pump or break open shotgun.

View Quote

I mean, Remington only made the 20 ga 1100 for like half a century, FN made the Browning Auto 5 in 20 ga for a similar length of time, you could get Saigas in 20 ga, god help you find mags for them now.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 1:40:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I shoot skeet with 3/4oz 12gauge loads.  

They're the cats meow.  Anyone can shoot those all day.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 8:43:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Willz] [#17]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

I mean, Remington only made the 20 ga 1100 for like half a century, FN made the Browning Auto 5 in 20 ga for a similar length of time, you could get Saigas in 20 ga, god help you find mags for them now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Originally Posted By Willz:  A semi-auto will have much less felt recoil than a pump or break open shotgun.

I wasn’t aware of those. Always been a 12 ga shooter aside from the 20 ga Browning  Superposed I shoot occasionally.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 11:03:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top