Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2024 5:15:20 PM EDT
wondering if anyone tried one of these?

I currently have two PVS-14s with a panobridge - it's a really well made bridge but I am using it as a binocular more and more so considering switching to a pure binocular housing.

I do want to keep manual gain...and saw the manticore come out.

do you know what % Steps the gain uses? (it has buttons rather than a knob).

if I just hold one of the tubes with one hand, will it be rigid enough for the other one to not flop around?

thank you!
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:01:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Definitely curious about the manticore gain steps too, and hands on experience with it as a whole.  Don’t see a lot about it yet.  Nocturn also has the samurai coming out later this year and it appears to have a gain knob on the offboard control unit / battery pack.

Unrelated to nocturn, but related to new manual gain housings, I was curious how the new DTNVS-MG does gain control and adjustable IR output on the same knob.  I was provided the following by the guys at Steele and it does look a little over-complicated.  There is similarly little info about it on the web thus far.  I can provide a review when my set (DTNVS-MG) arrives in about two weeks.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:15:48 PM EDT
[#2]
yes! looks a little complicated. wish they just made two knobs or something. I'm sure it would become memory after a few uses.

do you know if the DTNVS gain will be stepped or just regular? (was looking at the RNVG-VG and I learned that is stepped even though it has a round looking knob).
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:46:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:22:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JonLSU] [#4]
From what they said on YouTube, it was like 20 adjustments for gain.  

I’m planning on ordering one.  Been waiting for a variable gain articulating nvg
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 5:22:15 PM EDT
[#5]
So, update on the DTNVS, I was told that the gain was stepped but the knob definitely provides continuously variable gain which is fantastic!

The adjustable IR illuminator is also continuously variable, and really not hard to get to from the standard operating mode.  Quick double click to turn IR on, triple click, adjust the IR power, triple click to go back to gain adjustment. Double click to turn IR on and off as necessary and the IR power setting is maintained until you turn the tubes off (haven’t checked to see if they reset when flipped up).

Another bonus I’m appreciating about these is how far back they stow when using a cadex mount.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 7:43:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JonLSU] [#6]
Put in an order for the manticore w rpo lenses today.    Bout a 6 week or so wait
Link Posted: 6/10/2024 9:34:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: French1966] [#7]
I recently received a housing from a friend for a new personal build. Admittedly I am not really into having the newest thing that comes to market, because I really like to stick with proven housing systems that have been out for a long time. I also like housings that use as many pvs14 components as possible because I keep all those spares on hand. And if it comes down to preference, I was more interested in a basic Rnvg build or if I was going to try something new, the new Rnvg-MG housing looked really interesting. I enjoy very simple designs that are easy for cavemen like me to assemble and maintain.

But because I was offered it at a price that was too good to pass up, and needed a replacement for my recently sold set of PVS31D, I went ahead and grabbed one.

I'll probably post small updates here if it helps anyone else that are considering them. For now, here are some photos from taking out of the box, inspecting the housing, and doing a first prep/cleaning of the housing itself

Attachment Attached File

For those unaware, it uses proprietary EGACs (pigtails essentially) , which adhere to the image tube and make contact inside the housing. This is what allows the Manual gain to function.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Back to what I mentioned earlier regarding pvs14 components, this whole housing is a departure from the norm. The tube retaining rings are of a translucent plastic design, which essentially combine the functions of a light pipe and tube retainer into one component. This piece take its own special tool to install, adding to its departure from Pvs14 style components.

Attachment Attached File

What really surprised me which I some how missed on the product descriptions is the addition of a micro two-pin lemo port for external power. This means you will be married to Nocturns Battery pack which uses that connector, unless you know people who specialize in custom cable manufacturing. This is actually where I started warming up to this housing as I am a big fan of external power. However I still need to actually see how that port location works in terms of cable routing etc.

Attachment Attached File

I went ahead and did an initial prep of the housing by doing a close inspection and cleaning, and found many parts to have rough molding, rough threads, etc... That need minor attention before building. For DIYers and vendors alike, this is a step that can't be overstated in terms of importance. Every housing you get will require some amount attention, so that no debris ends up laying on your image tube, so for the uninitiated, please don't be alarmed at the next photo, which is a metal shaving on a q-tip, leftover from the machining process which made it's way off of one pod interior. No biggie, just figured I would mention for the guys who like to assemble their own NVGs.

Attachment Attached File

That's all I have for now. Will continue to update with new posts once the build is complete.

It seems like a really well made housing, and given how detailed the machining is, I am amazed they offer it for roughly $2,200-$2,400~

It leaves no feature off the table and gives you just about everything you could want, including being very light weight for an all aluminum housing. The build process is not for the feint of heart, as there are more steps involved in correctly assembling these (that I might discuss later). I would recommend consumers go ahead and leave this to their favorite vendors to complete. I'm just slightly crazy, so don't mind me.
Link Posted: Yesterday 4:17:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By French1966:
I recently received a housing from a friend for a new personal build. Admittedly I am not really into having the newest thing that comes to market, because I really like to stick with proven housing systems that have been out for a long time. I also like housings that use as many pvs14 components as possible because I keep all those spares on hand. And if it comes down to preference, I was more interested in a basic Rnvg build or if I was going to try something new, the new Rnvg-MG housing looked really interesting. I enjoy very simple designs that are easy for cavemen like me to assemble and maintain.

But because I was offered it at a price that was too good to pass up, and needed a replacement for my recently sold set of PVS31D, I went ahead and grabbed one.

I'll probably post small updates here if it helps anyone else that are considering them. For now, here are some photos from taking out of the box, inspecting the housing, and doing a first prep/cleaning of the housing itself

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/496867/1000000587_jpg-3237929.JPG

For those unaware, it uses proprietary EGACs (pigtails essentially) , which adhere to the image tube and make contact inside the housing. This is what allows the Manual gain to function.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/496867/1000000593_jpg-3237954.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/496867/1000000594_jpg-3237960.JPG

Back to what I mentioned earlier regarding pvs14 components, this whole housing is a departure from the norm. The tube retaining rings are of a translucent plastic design, which essentially combine the functions of a light pipe and tube retainer into one component. This piece take its own special tool to install, adding to its departure from Pvs14 style components.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/496867/1000000591_jpg-3237959.JPG

What really surprised me which I some how missed on the product descriptions is the addition of a micro two-pin lemo port for external power. This means you will be married to Nocturns Battery pack which uses that connector, unless you know people who specialize in custom cable manufacturing. This is actually where I started warming up to this housing as I am a big fan of external power. However I still need to actually see how that port location works in terms of cable routing etc.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/496867/1000000595_jpg-3237965.JPG

I went ahead and did an initial prep of the housing by doing a close inspection and cleaning, and found many parts to have rough molding, rough threads, etc... That need minor attention before building. For DIYers and vendors alike, this is a step that can't be overstated in terms of importance. Every housing you get will require some amount attention, so that no debris ends up laying on your image tube, so for the uninitiated, please don't be alarmed at the next photo, which is a metal shaving on a q-tip, leftover from the machining process which made it's way off of one pod interior. No biggie, just figured I would mention for the guys who like to assemble their own NVGs.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/496867/1000000590_jpg-3237983.JPG

That's all I have for now. Will continue to update with new posts once the build is complete.

It seems like a really well made housing, and given how detailed the machining is, I am amazed they offer it for roughly $2,200-$2,400~

It leaves no feature off the table and gives you just about everything you could want, including being very light weight for an all aluminum housing. The build process is not for the feint of heart, as there are more steps involved in correctly assembling these (that I might discuss later). I would recommend consumers go ahead and leave this to their favorite vendors to complete. I'm just slightly crazy, so don't mind me.
View Quote

Nice. Thanks for that pic of the lemo port.  That’s the first I’ve seen that shows where they put it.  I ordered the nocturn batt pack with it.  I prefer the cr123 batteries over AA that most seem to take.  
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:47:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for posting this.

Been mulling this housing vs the DTNVS MG for my next order from TNVC.

This definitely helps.
Link Posted: Today 4:11:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: French1966] [#10]
Build is done. Now it's just time to put it through it's paces and get used to it.

Initial thoughts:

The articulation is solid, very similar or slightly better than my Dtnvs was, but not as firm as my 31D.

I do like the IPD stop design just not when it comes to adjusting/reseting it. If you have OCD like me, and accidentally go past your desired IPD setting, you have to articulate them all the way vertically basically as far as they will go In order to reset the IPD to make new adjustments. I have to have the goggles off my helmet to do that, but your experience will vary based on what NV mount you are using and how it effects articulation range. Anyways, it's a big departure from the 31A/31D thumb screw IPD adjustment style

It weighs in right at 20oz basically, which is heavier than I thought it would be. For some reason I got mixed up and thought it was going to be 18.5ish, but I was mistaken. Looking back, I got it mixed up with the polymer Manticore that's going to be introduced. This is definitely not what I consider a light weight bino, but then again it's also the first all aluminum articulating bino that I have owned. I'm used to the 31A, 31D, and Dtnvs. The extra weight of 1.5oz~ compared to what I am used to  isn't really something I am noticing on my helmet, and I am a firm believer that chasing weight loss with a NV/helmet setup is much easier by just getting a lighter helmet and adressing what other accessories you add on to your lid.

I really am not a fan of the push buttons, and don't see myself warming up to them at all. The only redeeming quality that I can really place on it are better Water resistance (maybe) and less likely to take damage (no knob sticking out to get hit), which I believe Augee covered previously in this thread, and is a very real thing as I have seen plenty of power and gain knobs break or get bent etc.
    As far as quickness and ease of use, it's not as good as a dial. The buttons are incredibly stiff and seemingly need to be mashed down for adjustment, as I am getting a lot of false adjustment clicks that don't do anything. I don't want that to sound like a huge deal, because it's also brand new and I am used to buttons breaking in with use (such as mod buttons and unity buttons for lasers etc...)

Anyways without any real use on them that's as far as I can currently comment. But there is one thing that they absolutely excel in, which is them feeling really solid in the hand and looking really cool...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: Today 5:17:32 AM EDT
[#11]
They look awesome.  Really like that green color.  

As far as the buttons, how does the power button work?   Is it a quick push and it goes on or off, or do you have to hold it down for a bit.  Out of all the buttons that’ll be the one that gets 95% of the use.
Link Posted: Today 6:01:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JonLSU:
They look awesome.  Really like that green color.  

As far as the buttons, how does the power button work?   Is it a quick push and it goes on or off, or do you have to hold it down for a bit.  Out of all the buttons that’ll be the one that gets 95% of the use.
View Quote

You have to hold it for a few seconds to power on or off
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top