Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2024 1:25:41 AM EDT
I know the LE models do but sig does sig have something against selling chrome lined barrels to civilians?
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 7:47:27 AM EDT
[#1]
They say the commercial barrels are nitrated . Which I prefer.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:54:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ngc1300] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sinfulsilence:
View Quote
Why would you prefer to have a shorter life barrel?  Go to the battlefield vegas thread, the owner says he sees way shorter barrel life out of nitrided barrels over chrome lined.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:01:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By ngc1300:
Why would you prefer to have a shorter life barrel?  Go to the battlefield vegas thread, the owner says he sees way shorter barrel life out of nitrided barrels over chrome lined.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Most people won’t ever get close to wearing a barrel out. What’s the life difference in your opinion?

Either way it costs thousands of dollars to wear out a barrel in any of the standard AR chamberings so why worry about it?
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 1:24:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

Most people won't ever get close to wearing a barrel out. What's the life difference in your opinion?

Either way it costs thousands of dollars to wear out a barrel in any of the standard AR chamberings so why worry about it?
View Quote

"Why do you need the Milwaukee drill bro?  Just get a Ryobi, you won't wear it out!"

It's not opinion that chrome lined is better, it's a simple fact. The barrel life of chrome-lined barrels is significantly longer than nitrided.  The only thing nitride is better for is saving a few shekels on the manufacturers side.  The Spear LT is sold as a premium product yet comes with a budget barrel.  They offer the better offering (chrome lined) for LEOs, but not for plebeians.

I plan to pass these down to my children and don't want to settle for inferior barrels at a premium price point, hence the question on how does one acquire the good barrel when paying $2.5k.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 1:47:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok so don’t buy one and go buy a colt . I just realized my life’s to short for internet talk commandos
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 2:07:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ngc1300] [#6]
Ok so don't buy one and go buy a colt . I just realized my life's to short for internet talk commandos
View Quote

All I asked was a straight forward question on how to get the Spear LT with the good barrels.  So far all people can say is "You don't need a chrome lined barrel!  Every nitrided barrel salesman says they're just as good!"

Read this post here: https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/High-round-count-AR-M4-s-over-100-000-rounds-and-how-they-have-handled-on-our-range/118-677135/?page=42#i8603530

Nitride barrels makes sense in a PSA budget build,  not in a $2500 premium rifle.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 2:08:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KitBuilder] [#7]
It's not opinion that chrome lined is better, it's a simple fact. The barrel life of chrome-lined barrels is significantly longer than nitrided.  The only thing nitride is better for is saving a few shekels on the manufacturers side.
View All Quotes
It's not opinion that chrome lined is better, it's a simple fact. The barrel life of chrome-lined barrels is significantly longer than nitrided.  The only thing nitride is better for is saving a few shekels on the manufacturers side.
This.

They offer the better offering (chrome lined) for LEOs, but not for plebeians.
I called last year, on behalf of my LE agency, inquiring about buying their M400 with chrome lined barrels (which used to be an option). They don't offer the chrome lining anymore on the M400. I guess they're steering all the professional consumers toward the MCX series now.

When I called back in 2013, SIG had said agencies can order the P226 with cast parts instead of MIM if they want (like the older ones). I never did get confirmation if that's what the Navy did with their MK25 pistols.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 2:38:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 2:51:24 PM EDT
[#9]

"Why do you need the Milwaukee drill bro?  Just get a Ryobi, you won't wear it out!"

It's not opinion that chrome lined is better, it's a simple fact. The barrel life of chrome-lined barrels is significantly longer than nitrided.  The only thing nitride is better for is saving a few shekels on the manufacturers side.  The Spear LT is sold as a premium product yet comes with a budget barrel.  They offer the better offering (chrome lined) for LEOs, but not for plebeians.

I plan to pass these down to my children and don't want to settle for inferior barrels at a premium price point, hence the question on how does one acquire the good barrel when paying $2.5k.
View All Quotes

Most people won't ever get close to wearing a barrel out. What's the life difference in your opinion?

You’ve obviously made your mind up. I hope you find the barrels you are looking for.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 3:09:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ProvenArmsOutfitters:

Good Afternoon,

Below is a comparison chart of the SIG Spear Barrels from the LE/MIL models that we sale to the commercially available nitrite barrels. The commercial model 11.5" barrel does come chrome lined, where as all 5.56 model barrels under the LE/MIL variants come chrome lined.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/484674/SIG_MCX_W_LT_vs_SPEAR_LT_JPG-2905877.jpg

You can find the different options here at:

Sig Sauer MCX Spear Parts & Firearms

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Save 10% off our Website Prices*
Use Coupon Code AR15COM
when checking out!
(*Excludes firearms, SIG Products, Ammo and clearance/already discounted items and combos)

*Check our weekly specials in the Industry Forum
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/484674/Poven-Arms-Outfitters_Logo_RGB_AR15Avata-1416724.png
Store Address: 9796 Aberdeen Rd, Aberdeen, NC 28315
Store Hours: Tuesday - Friday 11AM- 4PM
Phone: 910.637.0500
Email: [email protected]
Facebook
Instagram

LE/MIL Program Firearm Sales for Sig Sauer,IWI, Beretta, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armory & FN
View Quote
Oh wow, so the 11.5 556 is CL?  That's pretty interesting.  Thanks

Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:23:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dissident] [#11]
The 556 11.5 conversion upper that I received from Sig is CL.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:11:09 PM EDT
[#12]
All 5.56 11.5 inch barrels are chrome lined.  The W (LEO) guns extend the chrome lining to other 5.56 lengths.  No 300blk guns are chrome lined.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 6:45:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Ok, ok, so chrome lining is better in a machine gun application.

Realistically, for the way in which civilians use their guns, does it really matter?

I understand the idea of wanting a "premium" product for a premium price paid but beyond that, are we really going to see a difference?

If I had unlimited funds and time, I would love to shoot a chrome lined barrel against a Nitrided barrel in the exact same fashion and record how the accuracy drops off over time.  I bet, beyond absurd firing schedules that both barrels will probably last a REALLY long time.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 10:40:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ngc1300] [#14]
Originally Posted By Magsz18:
Ok, ok, so chrome lining is better in a machine gun application.

Realistically, for the way in which civilians use their guns, does it really matter?

I understand the idea of wanting a "premium" product for a premium price paid but beyond that, are we really going to see a difference?

If I had unlimited funds and time, I would love to shoot a chrome lined barrel against a Nitrided barrel in the exact same fashion and record how the accuracy drops off over time.  I bet, beyond absurd firing schedules that both barrels will probably last a REALLY long time.
View Quote
If you want to settle for sub-par barrel life, sure nitride is fine.  But the truth is the chrome lined barrel will last longer.

I could make the argument you don't really need a sig spear as a civilian, but you wouldn't accept that argument.  Why do you accept it when it comes to barrels?

Here is a Chrome lined CHF barrel that's lasted 42k rds:
Hodge Defense 14.5 barrel. 42k rounds. Here’s what happened

You will not find a nitride barrel that lasts as long. Don't get me wrong, I understand why a $500 AR has a nitride barrel and if that's all you can afford it will work.   My issue is marketing a product as a premium and selling it a premium price with a budget barrel.

Link Posted: 1/20/2024 11:07:46 AM EDT
[#15]
View All Quotes

You planning to go full auto all the time like BF VEGAS?

Be real … as civilian shooters …
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 11:11:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ngc1300] [#16]
Originally Posted By thehun06:

Be real   as civilian shooters  
View Quote
"As a civilian shooter" is the same argument made by anti-gunners to say you don't need an AR15 or AK47.  It's pure copium.  You're using anti-gunner arguments to tell me why I don't need the best barrel life.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 11:11:09 AM EDT
[#17]
If you want to settle for sub-par barrel life, sure nitride is fine.  But the truth is the chrome lined barrel will last longer.

I could make the argument you don't really need a sig spear as a civilian, but you wouldn't accept that argument.  Why do you accept it when it comes to barrels?

Here is a Chrome lined CHF barrel that's lasted 42k rds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXn6-_ziIBI

You will not find a nitride barrel that lasts as long, it's a way for manufacturers to save on money while hoping the customer will be none the wiser.  On a budget barrel fine, pass the savings on to the customer like PSA does.  On a premium product it's 100% inexcusable.
View Quote

If you can afford to fire 15000+ rounds at 50+ cents a pop … replacing a barrel as part of your maintenance schedule is a none issue …
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 11:13:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ngc1300] [#18]

If you can afford to fire 15000+ rounds at 50+ cents a pop   replacing a barrel as part of your maintenance schedule is a none issue  
View Quote
So the consumer should be on the hook for the sub-par barrel life and not the manufacturer who is trying to save a buck, yet still charging premium barrel prices?  Do you accept sub-par parts on your vehicle?  "If you can afford to drive your new car 75k miles with a sub-par engine, you can afford to replace it when it blows."

Sig sells these barrels for $800 bucks, how can you make an excuse that being subpar is acceptable?
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 11:17:56 AM EDT
[#19]
"As a civilian shooter" is the same argument made by anti-gunners to say you don't need an AR15 or AK47.  It's pure copium.  You're using anti-gunner arguments to tell me why I don't need the best barrel life.
View All Quotes

Be real   as civilian shooters  

Ok. You do you.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 11:19:26 AM EDT
[#20]
So the consumer should be on the hook for the sub-par barrel life and not the manufacturer who is trying to save a buck, yet still charging premium barrel prices?  Do you accept sub-par parts on your vehicle?  "If you can afford to drive 100k miles with a sub-par engine, you can afford to replace it when it blows."

Sig sells these barrels for $800 bucks, how can you make an excuse that being subpar is acceptable?
View All Quotes

If you can afford to fire 15000+ rounds at 50+ cents a pop   replacing a barrel as part of your maintenance schedule is a none issue  
So the consumer should be on the hook for the sub-par barrel life and not the manufacturer who is trying to save a buck, yet still charging premium barrel prices?  Do you accept sub-par parts on your vehicle?  "If you can afford to drive 100k miles with a sub-par engine, you can afford to replace it when it blows."

It’s quite obvious you have your mind set and chrome lined barrels are your thing … good on you.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 11:28:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: esdunbar] [#21]
Chrome lined has better longevity (other downsides though), but I’m not going to worry about a nitrided barrel’s life.  When accuracy degrades I’ll replace any barrel without a care in the world of how many rounds I put through it.  It’s just not a big deal to me.  I’m cool with people wanting chrome lined, but I’ll roll my eyes at people who make a big deal about it.  If you shoot a lot, you’re going to wear out and break parts, no worries, just replace them as you go.  If you don’t shoot a lot and worry about theoretical round counts that you’ll never reach…

Given that nitride barrels are typically more accurate than their chrome lined counterparts, I could actually argue nitride makes more sense for a semi auto anyways.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By esdunbar:
Chrome lined has better longevity (other downsides though), but I’m not going to worry about a nitrided barrel’s life.  When accuracy degrades I’ll replace any barrel without a care in the world of how many rounds I put through it.  It’s just not a big deal to me.  I’m cool with people wanting chrome lined, but I’ll roll my eyes at people who make a big deal about it.  If you shoot a lot, you’re going to wear out and break parts, no worries, just replace them as you go.  If you don’t shoot a lot and worry about theoretical round counts that you’ll never reach…

Given that nitride barrels are typically more accurate than their chrome lined counterparts, I could actually argue nitride makes more sense for a semi auto anyways.
View Quote

Exactly. Unless you are planning to run full auto fire … CL would be beneficial … as a semi auto shooter … I’ll take nitride … the combination of CHF and nitride is a solid option.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 12:58:59 PM EDT
[#23]
So the consumer should be on the hook for the sub-par barrel life and not the manufacturer who is trying to save a buck, yet still charging premium barrel prices?  Do you accept sub-par parts on your vehicle?  "If you can afford to drive your new car 75k miles with a sub-par engine, you can afford to replace it when it blows."

View All Quotes

What if I said why would you accept sub par accuracy? Because chrome lined barrels are basically never the most accurate. You keep making it like you(the consumer) is getting screwed over by a nitrided barrel. The problem is you are in the minority in the thought that we are somehow getting screwed. Most people are fine with nitrided barrels. I bet they could do an unlined stainless "match" barrel on a limited run and people would be fighting over it.

Most people won't ever wear a barrel out regardless of the material.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 4:49:29 AM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

Those two things are not the same brother.  They're not even close.

Most people, at least on this forum that are NOT attaching any derogatory connotation to the word "civilian" use that word with the intent to describe a realistic use case.

We, civilian shooters, are not coming close to what the military is going to put through rifles in their armory.

The firing schedules and use cases are so incredibly different.  I will concede that the civilians use case COULD cross into the realm of being a battlefield rifle and you're absolutely right about that.  Still, it's not a bad thing to point out how the VAST majority of people DO actually use their rifles.

Let me ask you this.  Are you just upset that there's a differentiation between what LE/MIL gets versus the civilian?  If so, rock on man, I get it.  Personally, for my uses, it's not a huge deal and there are other things in that realm that annoy me more, such as Laser restrictions. :)
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 11:42:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MGYSGT8541] [#25]

What if I said why would you accept sub par accuracy? Because chrome lined barrels are basically never the most accurate. You keep making it like you(the consumer) is getting screwed over by a nitrided barrel. The problem is you are in the minority in the thought that we are somehow getting screwed. Most people are fine with nitrided barrels. I bet they could do an unlined stainless "match" barrel on a limited run and people would be fighting over it.

View Quote
Your argument isn't even true.  CL barrels can be very accurate.  Look at the FN SPR bolt action rifle. It's CL and shoots 1/2 or better from the factory. I've had many Colts and DD's shoot under an inch.  For me CL all the way. I am also an SOT 07 licensee and shoot full auto.  I like knowing I have a better lining
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 2:13:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By MGYSGT8541:
Your argument isn't even true.  CL barrels can be very accurate.  Look at the FN SPR bolt action rifle. It's CL and shoots 1/2 or better from the factory. I've had many Colts and DD's shoot under an inch.  For me CL all the way. I am also an SOT 07 licensee and shoot full auto.  I like knowing I have a better lining
View All Quotes

I own an SPR and didn't see many 1/2 moa versions when we did the FN shoots. I am also aware that they are the exception to the rule which is why everyone brings them up when I make that statement. If chrome was as accurate every single high end precision rifle would have it. They use premium components for every part yet they don't choose chrome barrels why is that? Many of those rifles are chambered in rounds that have poor barrel life and they would love to stretch life out a bit. Guys are buying Bartlein 400MODBB barrels at extra cost for extra life yet not a single precision barrel manufacturer that I am aware of makes chrome lined bolt gun barels so again why is that?

So when you say my argument isn't true you should bring better facts. If you had said chrome barrels are more than accurate enough for most shooters I would have agreed but then again that's how I feel about almost any decent barrel regardless of material, lining, or treatment.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 3:34:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Nitride is for the poors
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 3:39:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By M4A1SOPMOD:
Nitride is for the poors
View Quote
Best point yet!
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 5:37:51 PM EDT
[#29]

I own an SPR and didn't see many 1/2 moa versions when we did the FN shoots. I am also aware that they are the exception to the rule which is why everyone brings them up when I make that statement. If chrome was as accurate every single high end precision rifle would have it. They use premium components for every part yet they don't choose chrome barrels why is that? Many of those rifles are chambered in rounds that have poor barrel life and they would love to stretch life out a bit. Guys are buying Bartlein 400MODBB barrels at extra cost for extra life yet not a single precision barrel manufacturer that I am aware of makes chrome lined bolt gun barels so again why is that?

So when you say my argument isn't true you should bring better facts. If you had said chrome barrels are more than accurate enough for most shooters I would have agreed but then again that's how I feel about almost any decent barrel regardless of material, lining, or treatment.
View Quote
Yes you are right.  I should've worded it exactly like you did.  What you said is spot on with the whole subject.  

I like chrome lined all the way when it comes to AR's and piston guns. I have MCX's that are the LE versions.  All are chrome.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 5:38:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Nitride is for the poors
View Quote
Many people don't have a lot of money. Don't be the rich guy making fun of people who have less than you.  Don't be an elitist.
Link Posted: 2/5/2024 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Many people don't have a lot of money. Don't be the rich guy making fun of people who have less than you.  Don't be an elitist.
View Quote

If I didn’t want to be an elitist than what was the point of buying an mcx?
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 11:18:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Nitride is for the poors
View Quote

This is the dumbest post in this thread.
Link Posted: 2/6/2024 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Sample size of one, but I can tell you my 16" nitride LT barrel is not as accurate as any of the higher end chrome lined ARs I have.
If I had my choice I would pick chrome, but then all the nitride AR barrels I've had have been fine too.
If I shoot it out, I'll replace it, same with any AR barrel.

I also question the common wisdom that most military rifles will see huge round counts.  Obviously there are a select few in the military who will shoot a lot, but of people I know who shoot a lot, they all do it in the civilian world.  The vast majority of all the people I've ever known who were in the military (not all) might have shot a few rounds in basic training, or might not have, but their shooting in the military pretty much ended there.
So with the gazillions of rifles the military buys, and the relatively small number of mil personnel doing a lot of shooting, how are all these rifles getting huge round counts?
I would think MCXs are being bought for the folks who do shoot a lot, so maybe they are the exception.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 9:38:42 AM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

I agree with the statement above.  My preference if for chrome lined barrels and it's unfortunate Sig doesn't at least offer it as a choice.  With respect to accuracy, I'll argue that chrome lining does not lower accuracy, at least not to any significant degree.  My KAC shoots 0.3 moa based on the factory test and it's a chorme lined barrel.  I'm more of a variable than the rifle.  I'll also state that chrome lined barrels do not cost significantly more to manufacture.  Using Colt as an example, I can buy 2.5 of them at $1000 each with chrome lined barrels.  I'd be more of the cost difference in the Colt AR and a Sig MCX is in the upper and lower, not the barrel.

Saying a nitrided barrel is just as good as a chrome lined barrel unless you're shooting full auto is a poor argument.  If you have to add caveats, then it's not just as good.
Top Top