BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:10:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Princeton:

I’ve been following this thread with much interest as I have an Obsidian 45 that should be delivered to me some time this week.
Is it just the 9mm Obsidian cans that are having this issue?
View Quote

You should be fine shooting 9mm in it as long as you dont put a 9mm endcap on it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:53:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By DMG-LDS:

You should be fine shooting 9mm in it as long as you dont put a 9mm endcap on it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DMG-LDS:
Originally Posted By Princeton:

I’ve been following this thread with much interest as I have an Obsidian 45 that should be delivered to me some time this week.
Is it just the 9mm Obsidian cans that are having this issue?

Actually, bought it for a dedicated .45 ACP PCC AR. Probably won’t ever take it off or put in on any other gun.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:33:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:48:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By JTR:

Does anyone know of any other non 22lr cans that have all the clips aligned like this?

View Quote
Only most of them made in the last decade. Used to be a feature that was noted in some of the product descriptions. It would be faster to name the ones that don’t have them aligned. Perhaps it contributes to the problem in the case of the Obsidian; I have no idea.

As for the Obsidian being the only pistol can needing teflon tape on threads, that, too, was normal before EZ Lok.

It’s a bummer that this can is having these problems.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:14:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By d16man:
It's coming up on 2 weeks with no comms....hopefully I hear something soon.
View Quote

Send them an email and ask for an update. I received a reply the following day when I contacted them through their site this weekend. Granted I think about 99.87% of the reply was standard copy/paste.

They’re mailing me an end cap, if it happens again I’ll have to send the suppressor in.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:03:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SIGthusiast] [#6]
My can was tight and was using EZ-Lok for both of my strikes.  I don't think the threads they use contibute to the issue.

Also, I'm not sure it's just an end cap strike.  Following this second strike I emptied a bunch of jacket material and lead from my can.  And the carbon was cleaned from the inner parts of the baffles.  None of the baffles seem injured though.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:56:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:00:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:01:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:55:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:02:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#11]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:20:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 5:13:10 PM EDT
[#13]

We do not recommend using EZ Lok/Cam Lok products with our suppressors as they are not designed for them and we have had customers have issues with them in the past.
View Quote

As opposed to all the success you've had with your piston...
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:21:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I once ran a Griffin 3-lug mount in a Hybrid-46 with a .30cal front cap full auto on an MP-5.  The SiCo .30 front cap is something like .405” so enough room for 9mm with perfect alignment. No issues.  Good fit on the German barrel, nice strong spring, very solid lockup.  If it was too loose I wouldn’t have used it.

Companies can’t check out all cross-brand combinations users might try so it isn’t throwing shade to make cautious  or provincial recommendations.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:37:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Thread brings back memories of an older AWC  abraxus. I had end cap strikes. Barrel was a barsto custom fitted and threaded by AWC.

At first the barrel was blamed, and then the Nielsen device and then it suggested I failed to properly apply the grease using the AWC tool.

I can understand saying threads were not properly cut.  But hearing you guys guys blame ammo.  Really…how accurate does the ammo have to be six inches from the muzzle? Calling bs
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:07:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 1:41:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Green0:
The companies have no reason to say anything else when it isn't their part, but I can say the part is a very high tolerance quality part, that in EZ Lok prevents inadvertent loosening which is a major cause of baffle strikes and grazes in pistol cans.  

That's like Silencer Co saying no Griffin 3 lugs, when the issue was probably related to someone putting an HK10MM/Griffin .45 3Lug mount onto their can and putting it on a made years and years later B&T .45 with the smaller barrel end coupler.  It doesn't mean our part is shit.  It means their customer used the right part with the wrong interfacing part.  We also sell the smaller hole B&T .45 coupler bushing.
View Quote

The Griffin 3 lug one is funny, because your part fit and finish was nicer than the one SilencerCo shipped.

Never had an issue using the Griffin 3 Lug with an Octane45 on my MP5-40 clone.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 2:52:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By KalmanPhilter:

SiCo website shows the Octane & Octane 2.0 are both now legacy products.  Apparently no more new ones are currently being made. Warranty support should still be available if you find new, old stock somewhere.
View Quote

Wtf I just looked. Just got my octane 9 2.0 last year and love the little guy. Pretty light and has been a good performer. I need a solid non modular 45 suppressor.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:33:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Had the same experience with an endcap strike the first time I put it on my Staccato P. My friend who works at a dealer said it happens on all of them they sell.

It just lives on my SP5 on a 3 lug mount and has no issues with that. Rugged sent me a new endcap and said to use teflon tape also.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 2:58:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:24:57 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Green0:

The fact that the pistol is in a person's hand and moving in recoil at the moment of firing, and that pistols aren't as accurate as rifles, as well as pistol cans having piston fit tolerances, the can having 3 sections (booster, tube, second tube), and that pistol cans like the Obsidian have tighter bores than rifle cans does support that tolerances being tighter and all the other factors might play a role.  

I'd imagine the pistol bullets are more poorly made, and the Obsidian's really aggressively obround bore could play a role too.  

We are bringing out a new hunting marketed welded can sort of soon and I designed that with the bore .01" larger than normal to reduce warranty work because it is welded which makes issues like this more time intensive to resolve, so it's a 9mm can with a .404 bore, .014" larger than the Obsidian- with 39% more clearance.  The cap is .420" or .424" I believe again to reduce the likelihood of issues.  The baffle system is pretty high performance so it won't really be louder for the bore size change.

The bore on the KAC OHG was .510 when most .45 cans are .490".  I'm sure that had something to do with the fact it was welded and they wanted the end users to have trouble-free use.
View Quote
I’ve always wondered why .40 cal cans weren’t more popular. You wouldn’t give up as many decibels on 9mm hosts as with a .45 silencer, and since most people would use them on 9mm more than .40, there would be few strikes to speak of. Shooter’s ear could probably be very similar within the same size envelope with a well-developed design. When muzzle numbers are inevitably brought up, it’d be obvious to point at the .40 engraved on the can.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:41:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By AndrewKing:
That’s crazy. I’ve never seen an obsidian with an end cap strike before
View Quote

I’ve got one on my obsidian 9 as does a friend.

I personally ally don’t care, also they sell replacement end caps.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 12:35:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 5:56:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LnWlf] [#25]
Here’s a small data set of baffle strikes documented on reddit. I’m not the OP of this tracker

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/u/0/d/1Z2S__YnE9zMurU4Nzk8OT6c6q_w6r3KSBZnNJh0OY5s/htmlview#
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 6:06:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm waiting on mine to be returned.  I think I'm going to relegate mine to bedstand duty in short mode.  Looking to get a Specter 9 or another TLX with a booster for my go-to range toy.

Obsidian sounds good and I know they'll fix it but I don't feel like sending it back twice a year.  Not to mention having to pay 25 bucks shipping each time to get a known defect fixed.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 1:29:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top