Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Should I leave the US? (Page 1 of 7)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 5/17/2024 4:56:55 PM EDT
I got a decent job, I’m 26 and make a little under 6 figures. But it’s frustrating how difficult it is to buy a house, date, buy a car, save for retirement and have a work life balance all at the same time. I took an overseas vacation with my dad last month and had an incredible time in a low cost of living country and met a beautiful girl who is just my type. What’s horrible is if I were to bring her to the US, it would take months for the paperwork to go through and hundreds of dollars. I’m thinking about quitting my job and moving overseas to live my life with an actual direction. Not spending $2000 a month on taxes, +$1000 a month in rent + a few hundred more for phone bill, electric, water, internet, etc.

I tried buying a house in 2020, 2021, and 2024, failed each time for different reasons. (Offer not accepted, insufficient income to get a loan, and the house failed inspection in 2024. I looked at buying a 30,000 house in the ghetto but there are shootings within a mile every week.

Anyway, it’s getting old now so I’m thinking of leaving.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 4:58:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Where would be better than here? I know it sucks here currently, but it still beats the shit out of any other country.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 4:58:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 4:59:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Where do you plan on moving? Spain?, Portugal? Somewhere in South America? Thailand? Philippines?

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:00:43 PM EDT
[#4]
The USA is a big place.  Maybe check out a different state before going to a different country.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:01:05 PM EDT
[#5]
We're the best bad deal going there buddy.

Stick with Uncle Sugar and his mean green machine for the win.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:02:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:03:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mjhines3:
Where do you plan on moving? Spain?, Portugal? Somewhere in South America? Thailand? Philippines?

View Quote

Turkey. Beautiful weather, kind people. Clean, safe.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:04:21 PM EDT
[#8]
What's your "decent job?"

It may not pay all that well in the third world.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:05:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FALARAK] [#9]

stevejg1 thread.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:05:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By phillip42184:

View Quote

Are you sure about that?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:06:29 PM EDT
[#12]
If you don't like it here  feel free to leave with our blessings.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:06:52 PM EDT
[#13]
26?  Yes definitely go! especially if the place has things you really like to do.
If you come back in 20 years you'll only be 46 for God's sake. Live your life with adventure you only have one .

Go op

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Mall-Ninja:
What's your "decent job?"

It may not pay all that well in the third world.
View Quote

CNC programmer. I wouldn’t have to work for another 6 years if I left. However I’d probably take the time to develop custom software to make extra money on the side.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:07:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Anonymoose1:
Where would be better than here? I know it sucks here currently, but it still beats the shit out of any other country.
View Quote

Lots of GD has plans to retire in Italy or elsewhere.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:08:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By DubyaB:
26?  Yes definitely go! especially if the place has things you really like to do.
If you come back in 20 years you'll only be 46 for God's sake. Live your life with adventure you only have one .

Go op

View Quote

Thanks! It’s honestly motivating to hear.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:08:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Get out of the big cities.  They're awful and you're now seeing this.

Just curious, does she have kids, how old is she, and did she fuck you on the first night you met?
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:09:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Go visit first.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:09:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TZLVredmist] [#19]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

"Clean"  Eh....  depends where you are at in Turkey
"Safe"   Mmmm  Depends where you are at in Turkey

I could not wait to leave Turkey, but I live in Idaho, so that makes sense.

ETA:  If they are checking the underside of your car for bombs I don't generally consider that place to be safe.  

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Is it safe to travel to Turkey right now?

Turkey - Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution. Exercise increased caution when traveling to Turkey due to terrorism and arbitrary detentions. Some areas have increased risk. Read the entire Travel Advisory.

https://travel.state.gov › content › travel › Turkey
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:10:58 PM EDT
[#21]
As someone who has lived and worked overseas for multiple years, mostly in shithole warzones but also traveled to nicer placers for work and pleasure it gets worse from here.

The US is a great big place and contrary to what all the fucktards in GD say you are the only one limiting your ability to succeed. You just need to align yourself, your aspirations, and your location(s) and it will triangulate into success.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:11:01 PM EDT
[#22]
The barriers for coming into the country legally are really fucking easy to get through.

If that’s what’s bothering you, don’t let it.

But you’re only 26 and the world is a big place. Go have an adventure
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:12:03 PM EDT
[#23]
If it weren't for being a fun lover id sure leave.
 There is allot of places that are nicer than here nowadays.
 Never before in my life have i thought this way.
 Scotland, Hungery, Iceland are the few I've been to that are great.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:12:05 PM EDT
[#24]

View All Quotes

ALthough Turkey does have it's issues and it's not the paraside you seem to imagine, you are young.  I'd say go. You'd have an edventure you'd remember for the rest of your life wherever you end up.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:12:08 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

My Dad's top three countries in the world he would live in is Japan, Spain and Turkey and in that order.  He lived in Japan in the 50s as a AF dependent and most of his 5  siblings were born there.  My father has worked and lived around the world since the 60s on every continent and those are his top three countries.  He won't move there now since he has remarried but I can tell it is always in the back of his mind.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:12:09 PM EDT
[#26]

Are you sure about that?
View Quote

lol. Kind of a dumb question, but maybe you just don’t understand. In Detroit, where I can buy a house without debt, there are shootings every week. Where I live now there are bums and the kind of idiots who would shoot a pizza delivery driver for the cash they have. In Turkey the bums are promptly told to move on. And just laying down on a park bench can get some genuinely friendly, respectful cops to check out to make sure you’re not a drug addict or something.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:12:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Having traveled a fair bit, and lived overseas a little, I've only been to one other country I'd consider living in and that's Switzerland.

I'm sure there are others, but none that I've been to.

Belgium - nope
Germany - nope
France - nope
Italy - close, but nope
Austria - nope
Mexico - nope
Canada - nope
China - nope
Japan - nope
Vietnam - nope
Australia - nope

And although I've never been to one, I'm pretty sure I can say that no Muslim majority country would even come close to a yes.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:12:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Toss a few rounds of ammo in your luggage for good luck if you leave.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:13:21 PM EDT
[#29]
I say,  go for it! You're still so young. Literally your whole life ahead of you. Make the most of it. Have an adventure. Live a little. Damn I'm envious!
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:13:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Need pics of girlfriend to decide.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:15:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gunner76] [#31]
As bad as things are here I wouldn't dream of going to another country to live. Find another place to live in the States, if you get out in the rural areas you can get a house in a small town for under $80k and not have to wear a bullet proof vest 24/7.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:15:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By FALARAK:

stevejg thread.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:16:38 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote
I'd be concerned about working for lira.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:18:33 PM EDT
[#34]
How are you going to get permission to live in whichever country you are considering?  

It’s no fault of yours, but because of our perennially open border and the presence of hordes of third worlders crawling all over our cities, with no apparent difficulty getting cars, licenses, jobs, medical care, rental houses, tax refunds, public school educations for their kids, etc. etc. with no worry of deportation, most Americans are clueless about just how difficult it is to get a visa or residence permit to live in a country which makes even a half-assed effort to regulate immigration.

Are you a citizen of an EU country?  Married to one? A full-time student at an EU university?  If not, José and Paco are laughing at you.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:18:46 PM EDT
[#35]
What is your profession? Turkey is a low-tech country with rampant corruption. Biggest industry is tourism as long as they keep the Muslims in check and some agriculture but now large industry or tech stuff ongoing. If your are Christian, you will be second class citizen, Istanbul is very European on the surface but as soon as you countryside it's a different world, but good luck to you.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By odiedodi:
I'd be concerned about working for lira.
View Quote

As I said earlier in the thread, I wouldn’t have to work for six years if I left. Ultra low cost of living.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:20:23 PM EDT
[#37]
op. if you step foot in philippines for 2 weeks or more youll never want to go back home to usa. once you get past that 2 week mark its like you finally normalize and realize you are surrounded by smiling faces happy genuine people and kind old fashioned ethics who arent actually hating all the time.

verified the 2 week mark with way too many foreigners there its true. northern and middle philippines i went to cebu first then luzon where i lived 6 months met my wife been married 10 years now. worst part about going there and finding out is when your not there afterwards. its not like other places.

its 82 and breezy year around there on equator and mangoes are 2 bucks a bushel. again, the 2 weeks vacation there minimum is required to let it sink in that all the happy smiling faces lift you up and wipe that american negative attitude away. your us money goes to the moon and back there. i promise youll be received well. verified.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:21:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Yes, definitely sounds like you'd fit in somewhere else.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:23:13 PM EDT
[#39]
... low cost of living country ...
View Quote

You do realize that wages in such countries are generally at least proportionally lower, right? Often even more so, meaning that you actually end up with less purchasing power, especially for anything other than pure necessities.

And also don't forget the aforementioned issues with obtaining legal residence. Most Americans are clueless as to how immigration controls work in most countries - how comparatively easy we make it, even disregarding those who flaunt the rules and only considering the legal routes available.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:23:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Let's get this straight. You have been on here since you were 16 you post sixteen times a YEAR you make slightly less than $100k/year and can't buy a house? We are going to need a little more info as this does not compute. Cool story bro.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:25:03 PM EDT
[#41]
You can get a Work and Holiday visa in Australia, New Zealand, and Ireland if you are under 30.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:25:34 PM EDT
[#42]

lol. Kind of a dumb question, but maybe you just don’t understand. In Detroit, where I can buy a house without debt, there are shootings every week. Where I live now there are bums and the kind of idiots who would shoot a pizza delivery driver for the cash they have. In Turkey the bums are promptly told to move on. And just laying down on a park bench can get some genuinely friendly, respectful cops to check out to make sure you’re not a drug addict or something.
View All Quotes

Are you sure about that?

You can't compare the whole United States to one city.
You need to do some traveling here in the US.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:25:36 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

I was more thinking along the lines of geopolitical situations around there to the north and south.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:25:41 PM EDT
[#44]
I got a decent job, I’m 26 and make a little under 6 figures. But it’s frustrating how difficult it is to buy a house, date, buy a car, save for retirement and have a work life balance all at the same time. I took an overseas vacation with my dad last month and had an incredible time in a low cost of living country and met a beautiful girl who is just my type. What’s horrible is if I were to bring her to the US, it would take months for the paperwork to go through and hundreds of dollars. I’m thinking about quitting my job and moving overseas to live my life with an actual direction. Not spending $2000 a month on taxes, +$1000 a month in rent + a few hundred more for phone bill, electric, water, internet, etc.

I tried buying a house in 2020, 2021, and 2024, failed each time for different reasons. (Offer not accepted, insufficient income to get a loan, and the house failed inspection in 2024. I looked at buying a 30,000 house in the ghetto but there are shootings within a mile every week.

Anyway, it’s getting old now so I’m thinking of leaving.
View Quote

Just still have to file taxes and register any foreign accounts,, unless you plan on giving up your citizenship and then you have 7 years of tax filings. There is no way out.

But you are young, go out and live I say do it, not for the money but to see the world, also you will probably save a ton of money.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:25:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bikedamon] [#45]
26 is the age to do it. Go, before you get stuck in a mortgage and relationship.

I spent a few years in Buenos Aires up until Covid. Even though I was in my 40s and there for a corporate job and my wife and kid went back and forth a lot, it was amazing, and I met many younger American digital nomads living their best life.

My brother was on the fence about moving to Asia for a while, I encouraged him to do it while he was young and he’s glad he did. Take the leap, it could change your life.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:26:06 PM EDT
[#46]
If you have to ask...

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:27:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Fuck it. Yolo!
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:27:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Should I leave the US?

Most definitely. It's awful here.

Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:29:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jollyg83] [#49]

View All Quotes

Are you sure about that?

You’re comparing apples to oranges and you know it.  Detroit = Mogadishu

Move to WV BFE, acquire land and guns.  Or don’t, IDGAF.  
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 5:30:07 PM EDT
[#50]

View Quote
WWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTT????????????????????????????
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Should I leave the US? (Page 1 of 7)
Top Top